TBrowser *** Break *** segmentation violation from ROOT 6.22/06 installed from Linux snap Ubuntu Software

So I installed ROOT from snap:

groot@groot:~$ root-config --version
6.22/06
groot@groot:~$ root-config --platform
linux
groot@groot:~$ root-config --arch
linuxx8664gcc
groot@groot:~$ root-config --config
BLAS_blas_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libblas.so CFITSIO_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include CFITSIO_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcfitsio.so DAVIX_INCLUDEDIR=/usr/include DAVIX_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include/davix DAVIX_INCLUDE_DIRS=/usr/include/davix DAVIX_LIBRARIES=-ldavix DAVIX_LIBRARY=-ldavix DAVIX_STATIC_INCLUDE_DIRS=/usr/include/davix DAVIX_STATIC_LIBRARIES=davix DAVIX_VERSION=0.7.5 FFTW_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include FFTW_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfftw3.so FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_freetype2=/usr/include/freetype2 FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_ft2build=/usr/include/freetype2 FREETYPE_LIBRARY_RELEASE=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so FTGL_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include FTGL_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libftgl.so Fontconfig_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include Fontconfig_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfontconfig.so GIF_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include GIF_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgif.so GL2PS_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include GL2PS_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgl2ps.so GLEW_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include GLEW_SHARED_LIBRARY_RELEASE=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLEW.so GSL_CBLAS_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgslcblas.so GSL_CBLAS_LIBRARY_DEBUG=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgslcblas.so GSL_INCLUDEDIR=/usr/include GSL_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include GSL_INCLUDE_DIRS=/usr/include GSL_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgsl.so GSL_LIBRARY_DEBUG=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgsl.so GSL_VERSION=2.5 JPEG_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include JPEG_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so JPEG_LIBRARY_RELEASE=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so LIBLZMA_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include LIBLZMA_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblzma.so LIBLZMA_LIBRARY_RELEASE=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblzma.so LIBXML2_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include/libxml2 LIBXML2_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so LZ4_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include LZ4_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblz4.so NUMPY_INCLUDE_DIRS=/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/numpy/core/include OPENGL_EGL_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include OPENGL_GLX_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include OPENGL_egl_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libEGL.so OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLU.so OPENGL_glx_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLX.so OPENGL_opengl_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOpenGL.so OPENSSL_CRYPTO_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so OPENSSL_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include OPENSSL_SSL_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so PCRE_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include PCRE_PCRE_LIBRARY_DEBUG=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so PCRE_PCRE_LIBRARY_RELEASE=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so PC_LIBXML_INCLUDEDIR=/usr/include PC_LIBXML_INCLUDE_DIRS=/usr/include/libxml2 PC_LIBXML_LIBRARIES=xml2 PC_LIBXML_STATIC_INCLUDE_DIRS=/usr/include/libxml2 PC_LIBXML_VERSION=2.9.10 PC_SQLITE_INCLUDEDIR=/usr/include PC_SQLITE_LIBRARIES=sqlite3 PC_SQLITE_VERSION=3.31.1 PKG_FONTCONFIG_INCLUDEDIR=/usr/include PKG_FONTCONFIG_VERSION=2.13.1 PNG_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng.so PNG_LIBRARY_RELEASE=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng.so PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include PYTHIA8_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include/Pythia8 PYTHIA8_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpythia8.so PYTHIA8_hepmcinterface_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpythia8tohepmc.so PYTHIA8_lhapdfdummy_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblhapdfdummy.so PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIRS=/usr/include/python3.8 PYTHON_LIBRARIES=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpython3.8.so PYTHON_LIBRARY_DIR=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu PYTHON_VERSION_MAJOR=3 PYTHON_VERSION_MINOR=8 PYTHON_VERSION_STRING=3.8.5 Python3_LIBRARY_RELEASE=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpython3.8.so SQLITE_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include SQLITE_LIBRARIES=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsqlite3.so TBB_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include TBB_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtbb.so TBB_LIBRARY_RELEASE=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtbb.so TIFF_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu TIFF_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so TIFF_LIBRARY_RELEASE=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so VDT_INCLUDE_DIR=/root/parts/root/build/ginclude X11_ICE_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_SM_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_X11_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_XShm_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_XSync_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_Xaccessstr_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_Xau_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_Xdmcp_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_Xext_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_Xft_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_Xinerama_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_Xkb_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_Xkblib_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_Xlib_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_Xpm_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_Xrender_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_Xshape_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_Xt_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_Xutil_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include X11_dpms_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include ZLIB_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include ZLIB_LIBRARY_RELEASE=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so ZSTD_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include ZSTD_LIBRARIES=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libzstd.so xxHash_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include xxHash_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxxhash.so
groot@groot:~$ root-config --cflags
-pthread -std=c++17 -m64 -I/snap/root-framework/90/usr/local/include
groot@groot:~$ root-config --features
cxx17 asimage builtin_clang builtin_llvm builtin_vdt builtin_xrootd clad dataframe davix exceptions fftw3 fitsio gdml http imt mathmore mlp opengl pyroot pythia8 roofit webgui root7 runtime_cxxmodules shared sqlite ssl tmva tmva-cpu tmva-pymva spectrum vdt x11 xml xrootd

When I opened AOD root file and clicked tree histogram in TBrowser, it hang and this is the error message:

*** Break *** segmentation violation
 0x00007fc5ad64723c in <unknown> from /snap/root-framework/90/usr/local/lib/libCore.so
 0x00007fc5ace27210 in <unknown> from /snap/root-framework/90/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
 0x00007fc5a93c02b9 in <unknown> from /snap/root-framework/90/usr/local/lib/libCling.so
 0x00007fc5a93c06a0 in _ZN5cling13DeclCollector21HandleInterestingDeclEN5clang12DeclGroupRefE + 0x0 from /snap/root-framework/90/usr/local/lib/libCling.so
Root > 

Help… Is it broken installation or bug in this version? How to fix it? I opened the same root file in my old computer with old version ROOT and it works.

Welcome to the ROOT forum!
I don’t know snap, but you could try to take the binaries from the ROOT Web site Release 62206 - ROOT and see if it works.

@James-Carroll ping :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s unlikely to be a broken installation, the setup doesn’t give much room to make mistakes there.

This kind of error isn’t one where I’d expect the snap integration to be particularly the issue. Snap specific issues would typically be missing packages, headers, compile flags or operations failing with permission denied where they’d work fine normally. The most basic case of opening a .root file is likely something unrelated to being a snap itself (but might be related to how I’ve compiled it?).

The first thing I’d recommend is try the nightly builds and see if it’s reproducible there, you can swap to nightlies with sudo snap refresh root-framework --channel=edge and swap back again with sudo snap refresh root-framework --channel=stable Edit: Strictly speaking the current stable release is newer than the nightly, so if these commands don’t work, try sudo snap remove root-framework followed by sudo snap install root-framework --edge for the nightly.

There’s an issue on Github that claims that 6.22.06 has a problem with certain files made with older versions of ROOT, although the stack trace doesn’t look similar, it could potentially be related.

2 Likes

Thanks. It works in the nightly.

1 Like

Glad to see it’s working :slight_smile:

I’m unsure about ROOTs policies for issues that are already fixed in nightlies, but given the low level nature of the problem I’d say it’s probably worth filing an issue or commenting on the one above to comment you’ve experienced something similar. If the other user hadn’t already mentioned their issue I’d have been panicking a lot more, having other users validate issues as reproducible is worth a lot.

@Alkegit21 if you want to open an issue at Issues · root-project/root · GitHub as James suggested that is totally ok – please make sure to provide some way we can easily reproduce the crash (e.g. on CERN LXPLUS, or in a Docker container, or on our own machines given we run a specific ROOT version…) so we can easily figure out if the issue is still present, or in which version it’s present, etc.

Cheers,
Enrico