Syntax error in thisroot.csh

Hi all,
I’m trying to install root v5.26/00 using cygwin, and I’ve been following the directions at root.cern.ch/drupal/content/inst … oot-source.

I made it past typing ./configure win32gcc and make

On the next step, whenever I type . bin/thisroot.sh it works fine, but when I type source bin/thisroot.ch it gives me the following error:

bin/thisroot.csh: line 11: syntax error near unexpected token `(' bin/thisroot.csh: line 11: `set ARGS=($_)'
Any ideas what might be causing this?

Hi,

You have to choose the one matching your shell. $ROOTSYS/bin/thisroot.sh is for the “Bourne” shell (sh, the original UNIX shell) and $ROOTSYS/bin/thisroot.csh is for the “C” shell (csh). And they have different syntaxes. To know which one you are using, just type:

(pcphsft53) [210] echo $SHELL
/bin/bash
(pcphsft53) [211]

Cheers, Bertrand.

Thank you very much! I’m not used to using anything like unix so I’m picking this up as I go.

Next question: when I try to run ROOT, it says it can’t figure out DISPLAY and I need to set it manually. How do I do that?

Hi,

You have to intall and start X11 (XWin) server… but before going too far, why don’t you use the win32 native version of ROOT instead? It is much simpler, faster, and you won’t need X11…

Then my previous remark is even more relevant…

Cheers, Bertrand.