Supplying tuple file to Windows command line

When I fire up Root 4.02.00 on Windows and try to attach an ntuple file from the command line, it only works if I put forward slashes in the file spec. This is awkward but tractable - but potentially way more convenient than opening the TFile and finding the tree. What would be nice is to be able to either double click a Root tuple file or SendTo to Root and have it parse the filename properly. This does not work at all. Is there a way around it?




I am not sure to fully understand your request (this week has been a long week!). You can do all that from the TBrowser.
You can instantiate a TBrowser object in your rootlogon.C script.
then click on the list of files in your current dir. This will display
the list of files. Double click on any ROOT file to open it automatically.
Go the the list of ROOT files and click on the Tree, etc.

If I remember Valery showed me a way to double click directly on
the MS file browser and start ROOT on this file. I do not remember
what he did (he is away now). May be Bertrand has a suggestion.


Hi Richard,

Take the small zip in attachment, unzip and build it (it is a standalone root browser application).
Then you can associate .root files with rbrowser.exe.
I use this small app. since a long time and quite often…

And here is (one of the few) procedure to associate rbrowser.exe to .root files on XP.

In the Windows Explorer :
Double click on a .root file. A dialog box appears, select the option “Select the program from a list”.
Another dialog with a listbox containing the available programs will appear.
The checkbox “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” must be checked.
Click on the “Browse…” button, and then browse to the location of rbrowser.exe. “Ok”. That’s all !

Now you should be able to open any root file by double-clicking on it,
and the file should be represented in the Windows Explorer by the
root file icon.

Hope it helps,
Bertrand. (2.6 KB)

Thanks, Bertrand (and Rene!),

I got the rbrowser to build. Paths were a little different in .NET 2003 and I also did not have msvcirt.lib on my machine. But I found the instructions in the Root installation area to substitute msvcprt.lib for it and it works fine.