Streaming of template

Hi,
I have some classes that are not based on TObject. I wanted to make some workaround to “pretend” that they are TObjects (I not store them I ROOT files).
The class template looks like:

template<class T>
  class ObjectVoid : public Object {
    T* fPointer   = {nullptr};
    Bool_t fOwner = {kFALSE};

public:
    ObjectVoid() {};
    ObjectVoid(T* obj, Bool_t owner) : fPointer(obj), fOwner(owner) {}
    T* GetCore() const { return fPointer; }
    virtual ~ObjectVoid() {
      if (fOwner && fPointer) delete fPointer;
    }
    ClassDef(ObjectVoid, 0)
  };

I build a library with this (let’s call it libraryA). The problem is that I do not know the types of classes at this moment.
Therefore I have to build dictionary in project that uses libraryA, however adding few lines to linkdef doesn’t help. So my question is possible to create a dictionary in library that does not contain definition of template?

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

Please fill also the fields below. Note that root -b -q will tell you this info, and starting from 6.28/06 upwards, you can call .forum bug from the ROOT prompt to pre-populate a topic.

ROOT Version: Not Provided
Platform: Not Provided
Compiler: Not Provided

Hi,

Bear with me, I think I do not understand what the exact problem is. Could you perhaps rephrase the goal you are trying to achieve?
Maybe I misunderstood, but if you do not store the instances of this template in files, why do you need their dictionaries?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
D

Hi,
I need dictionaries because it inherits from TObject.

Why? (I.e. how it the inheritance from TObject helping you)"

So my question is possible to create a dictionary in library that does not contain definition of template?

I am not sure which direction you mean :slight_smile: but typically you have:

• library/package A which contain the main declaration/implementation of the class template (Tmplt)
  • library/package B which contain the implementation of concrete class (SomeClass)
  • library/package C which can contain the dictionary for the class template instance of the concrete class (Tmplt<SomeClass>)
  • A and B can be completely indepedent.
  • C will depend/use both A and B.
  • C might be the same library as B; B might be the same library as A. A might be the same library as C. A, B and C might be the same library. If A and C are the same library the combined library has to depend/use B.

however adding few lines to linkdef doesn’t help

How did it fail?

How did it fail?
during compilation process it simply says "Warning: Unused class rule: mytemplate

However, I probably found the source of the issue -missing include in the header - when I included a template header in the SomeClass.h, it started working.

So thank you for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.