Storing information (string) in a TTree filled with event variables

ROOT Version: 6.14/09

Hello all,

I have a question about storing a string in a TTree.

When I call the function where the tree is created, if have the name of the output file given as well as const std::string &outFile

Let’s say, I want to store this string in my tree.

TTree *tree = new TTree("nominal", "nominal");
TBranch *newbranch = tree->Branch("dataset", &outFile);

This works.
However, later I store variables eventwise in the same tree, such as
tree->Branch("JetPt", &JetPt); which are around 240*10^3 floats filled in a for loop.

My Problem comes when investigating the produce ROOT-FIle, it is very large.
It seems like, that the event variables are stored In the dataset branch as well.

I suspect this is caused by the wish, to keep all branches at the same amount of entries, such that a event is defined well.

If I save the the string only to another tree e.g.

TTree *metadata = new TTree("metadata", "metadata");
metadata->Branch("out", &outFile);

the processing is way faster, and the output file is way smaller.

But then I don’t have the information stored in tree.
I tried a workaround via friends tree->AddFriend("metadata"); but that doesn’t work.

Any help would be appreciated.
If you need more information or code snippets, ask

Hi @frengelk ,
and welcome to the ROOT forum!

If you do add the string branch, then add another branch, and then call TTree::Fill many times, both branches are filled at each call.

It’s possible to create TTrees with unbalanced branches (i.e. with some branches with more entries than others) but I would not recommend it as it makes treatment of that TTree a bit more cumbersome.

Friend trees (possibly with a TTreeIndex to associate entries in the smaller TTree with entries in the larger TTree correctly) are the standard solution for a scenario like yours. It also depends on what you need to do with the non-eventwise data, and how many entries you have for those: is it just one entry, to store some dataset metadata?

Cheers,
Enrico

Hi, thanks for the answer! :slight_smile:

yeah, that is what I suspected.

Just out of curiosity, could I add the branch with a single string after every other step is done (e.g. right before closing the file) without a problem, or does root not like it?

Exactly. Right now, I just want to save the string containing the dataset’s name, so that after usage of many different files later, I can still pinpoint where each tree stems from.

In the end the ideal scenario would be:

• Reading in the file
  • accessing the tree
  • do the computation with the event-wise data
  • before saving as histograms to somewhere else, extract the information of the dataset-string to be able to connect the produced output to the right physic process, so just read the “metadata”-banch

So it is just one entry in the “metadata” branch that I want to read out.
Could you elaborate on

possibly with a TTreeIndex to associate entries in the smaller TTree with entries in the larger TTree correctly
?

Thanks in advance!

Yes you can, but again I would recommend against having a TTree with branches with differing number of entries.

For your scenario, I would just store the dataset name as a TString in the file (not even in another TTree), next to the TTree.

Cheers,
Enrico

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.