Starting root v5.13.01

I have just tried to compile and install the new root and am having issues. I have never really had issues with root before. I moved the source to a dir that I wanted it installed in and then I configured it using --prefix=pwd. That I do not normally do, but it looked like that was done before. So I compiled and then ran make install. When I try to run I get the following:

[prophecy@kuhep6 prophecy]$ root -b
  *        W E L C O M E  to  R O O T       *
  *   Version   5.13/01      11 July 2006   *
  *  You are welcome to visit our Web site  *
  *          http://root.cern.ch            *

Compiled on 19 July 2006 for linux with thread support.

CINT/ROOT C/C++ Interpreter version 5.16.13, June 8, 2006
Type ? for help. Commands must be C++ statements.
Enclose multiple statements between { }.
Error: cannot open file "iostream"  (tmpfile):2:
*** Interpreter error recovered ***
Error: cannot open file "_string"  (tmpfile):2:
Error: cannot open file "vector"  (tmpfile):2:
Error: cannot open file "pair"  (tmpfile):2:
Error: cannot open file "RtypesCint.h"  (tmpfile):2:
root [0] .q

Is there just something that I have forgot to do? I did set ROOTSYS to the correct location. Thanks for any help.

I saw the post about running gmake twice but it did not help.

You forgot the step
make cintdlls
see: root.cern.ch/root/Install.html

Rene

There is only one word to express my feelings here.

Doooop. (Homer Simpson style)

Ok…

I did the "gmake cintdlls" and then a gmake install.  I still am getting the same result though.  Is there a problem with installing into the source directory?  Is there anything I can post to help debug the problem?

I have been having similar problems, but seem to have fixed them.
Try executing a second ‘make cintdlls’, and then doing ‘make install’ again as well. This seems to do the trick for me.

Any ideas why this is the case?

Also, the welcome screen gives the version 5.13/01, but I installed 5.12!

[quote]Any ideas why this is the case?[/quote]There was a bug in the Makefile in the install target which ‘forgot’ to create one of the needed directory in the install location. It turns out that the missing directory is somehow created later in the install (aka after its needed) and hence runnin gmake install twice works (somewhat). The best is of course to get the update Makefile

[quote]Also, the welcome screen gives the version 5.13/01, but I installed 5.12![/quote]Well … either you did not install 5.12 or you have a problem with your enviroment variable (LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc…)

Cheers,
Philippe

Ok,

I was able to fix my problem by not specifying the --prefix on the configure line.  I added it originally due to habit, but the install docs pointed me in the right direction.  As for the version information.  I agree that it is wrong off the web page.  I downloaded what I thought was 12/00 and what I got was 13/01.  The file I downloaded from the site was the following (along with the md5 for verification):

d160d08d7e49f21454796f69bf24caca root_v5.12.00.source.tar.gz

Thanks for the info.

[quote=“pcanal”]

[quote]Also, the welcome screen gives the version 5.13/01, but I installed 5.12![/quote]Well … either you did not install 5.12 or you have a problem with your enviroment variable (LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc…)
Cheers,
Philippe[/quote]

Er… no - I definitely downloaded root_v5.12.00.source.tar.gz (created on the 14th of July), and previously I only had 5.10 installed, so I can’t think that it was a problem with my environment variables! Perhaps someone has been tampering with your ftp server!

Barnaby.

Thanks we’ll check into it.

Cheers,
Philippe

The tar file on the web site should now be correct.

Cheers,
Philippe