Standard output from slaves

Hi,

I wonder if there is an easy way or a tweak somewhere so I could get the standard output from the slaves (what I print through cout) in the main console while PROOF is running. Of course I would not expect it to be perfectly synchronised but it would help in debugging.

Cheers,

Isidro

Hi Isidro,

Uhmm … one way to get everything in one place in real time (but not in the shell), is to redirect the log to syslog and have syslogs collected in a unique place (i.e. machine).
You can already do this now but:

1. You have to use Info(…), Warning(…) , Error(…) etc, i.e. it will not work for cout, cerr, …
  2. It can be very verbose, because to enable syslog in Info et al, currently you have to enable everything (you will get all SvcMsg, for example …).

If you think this could anyhow help you, I can explain how to enable and to setup syslog logging. Verbosity could be controlled by using directly gSystem->SysLog(…) to log things …

For the future we could allow more fine-tuning on what to log and also investigate how to redirect ‘cout’ and ‘cerr’ to syslog.

Let me know,
Gerri

I see. This is not quite what I am looking for. As usual, don’t waste your time on this unless someone else requires it or you have tons of spare time :wink:

[Thinking loud] May be a derived istream which connects to a file if in PROOF mode or defaults to cout in sequential mode would do the trick if the master is able to connect to the istream (i.e. file).

Thanks any way,

Isidro

Hi Isidro,

Yes, the istream is a possibility, but it will probably require some development on the underline connection layer, … I have to think about .

Another possibility I had in mind after writing to you last time, was to have a thread monitoring the log file(s) and sending off to the client via UDP (no blocking, very light) every time something is written to the file(s). The client would only need to require it, perhaps specifying the number of UDP port were to receive the information (with some good default). The logs could either go to a dedicated graphic log box or printed on the main window …

I’ll see what I can do … and when … :wink:

Cheers, Gerri

Sounds very nice, Gerri. Thanks. Let me know if you need a beta tester when you find the time for it and I might find a few :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Isidro