Specify libRMySQL.so

Hello folks,

I am testing the monitoring functionality of PROOF through MySQL.
As far as I can see, the database is filled by the ROOT user session, therefore the library libRMySQL.so has to be part of the ROOT package specified by the user.

I am facing a problematic situation : my xrd.cf allows the use of several ROOT packages installed on my site, but some of these packages are deployed via grid middleware, and do not include libRMySQL.

So, in practice, the database is filled only when a user session makes use of the right ROOT packages.

I there a workaround to this ?
It would be nice if, for example, I could configure proof to use a given libRMySQL.so installed on a given location, a bit like it is done for libXrdOfs with :

xrootd.fslib /path/to/libXrdOfs.so

Can something similar (or any other nice solution) be done for my current problem ?
Many thanks for your help !!
Ciao,
Renaud

Hi,

If you know where libRMySQL.so is, you can try usinggSystem->Load("where_it_is/libRMySQL.so");

Cheers,
Philippe.

Hello Philippe
First, thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Your example implies that I should ask all my proof users to load the library themselves.
This would make the monitoring dependent on the user.
If it is the case by conception, I think that should be avoided if possible !

I am simply trying to find a solution to make all PROOF user sessions load the SQL library (in some place that I know), but without never asking the user to do anything.

Can this be done ?

Cheers

Renaud

Hi Renaud,

I see the issue but there is no solution, currently. The code we are running for monitoring runs inside ROOT and must be compatible (i.e. coming with) the chosen ROOT version.

Remember that all this is very experimental, especially with SQL. We are starting now to really use it and we are facing the first real issues. If this becomes one then we will have to review the way the information is sent out, perhaps passing by the daemon. But this will require to re-write the whole interface inside PROOF and to implement a monitoring interface inside xproofd.

The only suggestion that I can give now is to build by yourself the mySQL plugin for the versions that you take from the middleware and add it manually. Or perhaps you can ask the ALICE central services to build also the mySQL plugin: it is not such a big addition after all …

Gerri

Thanks for your answer Gerri, I’ll do as you suggest.
Cheers
renaud