Some keys not functioning when using GUI

Hi,

Some keys/keystrokes don’t seem to work when I’m interacting with the ROOT GUI. Up to now, I’ve worked around this problem, but since I’m writing a GUI at the moment, it has become an annoying problem.

Some examples :

• my numeric keypad is not responding when trying to feed a number to the GUI (e.g. when calling TAxis::SetRange by rightclicking on a TAxis object, I can only input values using the number keys on the main keyboard; no response when pressing keys on the numpad); the numeric keypad is working just fine when typing something at the command line;

• shortcut/hot keys do not work; e.g. Alt+D does not work for a button created with

I’m running ROOT 4.03/04 on Fedora Core Release 1 (kernel 2.4.22-1.2188).

Probably some wrong setting ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Hi,

The Numeric keypad problem was fixed in June, i.e. the new ROOT release 5.04 from today contains the fix but not the version you are using.
I see no problem using the button hot keys on both: linux SLC3 and Cygwin/Windows XP environments. Unfortunately I have no computer with Fedora Core Release 1 (kernel 2.4.22-1.2188) to make additional tests.
Please note, the tests were made with a standard QWERTY keyboard.

Cheers, Ilka

Hello Ilka,

Thanks for your swift reply.

I downloaded the latest version of ROOT compatible with my system (root_v5.04.00.Linux.RH9.0.gcc32.tar.gz). And indeed, the problem with the numerical keypad seems to be solved. Thanks !

However - you won’t believe this … - the problem with the hot keys seems to be related and incompatible with the usage of the numerical keypad. More precisely :
[ul]

• the numerical keypad, quite logically, only works when ‘Num Lock’ is ON
  • the hot keys only work when ‘Num Lock’ is OFF …
    [/ul]
    I have no clue on what is causing this, neither on how to solve this problem … Anyone ?

By the way, the keyboard I’m using is UK English; I tried switching to standard US International, but this had no effect.

Additional question :
should the cursor, when entering data in a GUI dialogue box, jump from one box to the next and back when pressing (shift) tab, in good old Windows style ? This would be handy … In any case, at the moment it’s not working like that on my system.

Cheers,

Jan

Hi Jan,

[quote]- the problem with the hot keys seems to be related and incompatible with the usage of the numerical keypad. More precisely :
- the numerical keypad, quite logically, only works when ‘Num Lock’ is ON
- the hot keys only work when ‘Num Lock’ is OFF … [/quote]I can reproduce it - the reason should be into the code. We will investigate it as soon as possible. I will include it in our ToDo list.

[quote]should the cursor, when entering data in a GUI dialogue box, jump from one box to the next and back when pressing (shift) tab, in good old Windows style ?[/quote] No, this behavior is not implemented. I can include it also into our ToDo list.

Cheers, Ilka

Thanks and good luck !