[SOLVED]Compilation & Installation Error - ROOT master

ROOT Version: master (6.23/01)
Platform: 64 bit Fedora 32
Compiler: gcc version 10.2.1 20200723; Python 3.8.5; Python 2.7.18

I have just downloaded root-master.zip for installation on 64-bit Fedora 32. I have downloaded all the required dependencies before proceeding with the following sequence of the commands to compile ROOT:

1. cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/root/dev -Dfortran=OFF -Druntime_cxxmodules=OFF ../root-master
    The output of the above command can be found here: Build_Configure.txt (12.5 KB)

2. cmake --build . -- -j8
    The compilation fails with:

[ 51%] Copying /opt/root-master/tutorials/roofit/rf313_paramranges.C
CMake Error at /opt/root_build_master2/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-build-Release.cmake:49 (message):
Command failed: 2
‘/usr/bin/gmake’
See also
/opt/root_build_master2/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-build-*.log
gmake[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/XROOTD.dir/build.make:133: XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-build] Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:7601: CMakeFiles/XROOTD.dir/all] Error 2
gmake[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…
[ 51%] Copying /opt/root-master/tutorials/roofit/rf313_paramranges.py
[ 60%] Linking CXX static library …/libLLVMCodeGen.a
[ 60%] Built target LLVMCodeGen
gmake: *** [Makefile:172: all] Error 2

Different XROOTD-build-*.log files (renames to .txt) are here:
XROOTD-build-err.log.txt (102.1 KB) XROOTD-build-out.log.txt (39.0 KB)

Any help is highly appreciated.

NOTE: I can successfully compile ROOT with :
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/root/dev -Dminimal=ON ../root-master
But, that is not sufficient for my analysis.

Thanking you.

With best regards,

Ajay

Hi,
XROOTD-build-err.log.txt contains the following error:

A quick googling suggests the solution reported here, namely installing the libuuid and libuuid-devel packages. Does that fix this compilation issue?

Cheers,
Enrico

1 Like

Hi Enrico,

Thank you very much for your reply. I confirm that the errors during compilation are resolved after installing libuuid-devel. I think that the need of this package must also be mentioned under required dependencies. What do you think?

Now, I have errors while executing make install :worried: The errors are collected in ROOT_Install_Errors.txt file.

Is there any easy solution for this?

Regards,

Ajay

I agree, this is now Fedora32 dependencies should mention libuuid · Issue #433 · root-project/web · GitHub

Uhm I don’t undertsand, why would make install try to execute python code? Did you try to source thisroot.sh before installing? Something’s fishy.

May be you misunderstood something! I am not trying to execute any code at this stage, just trying to install ROOT! For this, I usually follow below sequence for ROOT installation:

1. cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/root/dev -Dfortran=OFF -Druntime_cxxmodules=OFF ../root-master

2. cmake --build . -- -j8

3. make install

What is wrong then?

According to the error message, the make install step is executing python code.
I’ll try to run those commands in a fedora32 docker container and see what happens.

Note that you can also just yum install root on Fedora.

Yes, I know. But, I always prefer to build from source!

Looks like,
_roodatahist.py, _roodataset.py, _th2.py are missing under pythonization directory.

I have checked, these files are there in the pythonization directory of ROOT 6.22/02!

It might be an issue introduced by commit a6b7b88ea9 a couple of days ago.
Could you please try to use a commit that precedes it? The risks of building the master branch :sweat_smile: sorry!

Alright, known problem, this PR is going to fix master very soon. Sorry for the trouble!

Thanks for informing. Should I try installing 81031b8 commit then?

Yes, that should be a working commit (fingers crossed).

Update: the PR I mentioned was just merged in master so current master should also work fine.

1 Like

Wow! So fast, great. I will try installing the latest commit right away.

I confirm that the issue is now resolved!

Thank you very much for your time and efforts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.