Simple test code not working on MacOS using homebrew install

ROOT Version: 6.26/06
Platform: MacOS 13.2.1 (Ventura)
Compiler: XCode 14.2 (14C18)

Until recently I was running MacOS Monterey 12.6.3 with XCode 13.4.1. My root scripts were working. I recently upgraded the OS, XCode and XCode command line tools. I can compile and run simple c++ programs from the command line.

I tried to install root by downloading a tar file from the root web site. MacOS security blocked me from running because it was not properly signed by the developer. So I did a homebrew install. To use it I need to:

source /usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/bin/thisroot.sh

I can view histogram/TTree files made previously.

The problem is that when I tried to run root code that compiles other code it fails. The stripped down example is two files:

hello.C

{
#include "hello.cc++"
hello();
}

hello.cc

#include <iostream>
void hello(){
  std::cout << "Hi" << std::endl;
}

I tried to execute this with:

root -l hello.C

This works on other root installations but not on my recently upgraded machine. The error message is:

root [0]
Processing hello.C…
Info in TMacOSXSystem::ACLiC: creating shared library /Users/kutschke/Mu2e/GeometryViewer/GeometryBrowsing/hello_cc.so
clang: error: no such file or directory: ‘/usr/lib/libfakelink.dylib /usr/lib/libenergytrace.dylib /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib /usr/lib/libapple_nghttp2.dylib /usr/lib/libcompression.dylib /usr/lib/libnetwork.dylib /usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib /usr/lib/libMobileGestalt.dylib /usr/lib/libcoretls.dylib /usr/lib/libcoretls_cfhelpers.dylib /usr/lib/libxar.1.dylib /usr/lib/libarchive.2.dylib /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftCore.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreFoundation.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftDarwin.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftDispatch.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftIOKit.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftObjectiveC.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftXPC.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswift_Concurrency.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswift_StringProcessing.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftos.dylib /usr/lib/libpcap.A.dylib /usr/lib/libdns_services.dylib /usr/lib/liblzma.5.dylib /usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib /usr/lib/libcharset.1.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswift_RegexParser.dylib /usr/lib/libheimdal-asn1.dylib /usr/lib/libCheckFix.dylib /usr/lib/libmecab.dylib /usr/lib/libgermantok.dylib /usr/lib/libThaiTokenizer.dylib /usr/lib/libutil.dylib /usr/lib/libapp_launch_measurement.dylib /usr/lib/libmis.dylib /usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib /usr/lib/libcmph.dylib /usr/lib/libTLE.dylib /usr/lib/libspindump.dylib /usr/lib/libate.dylib /usr/lib/libexpat.1.dylib /usr/lib/libAudioStatistics.dylib /usr/lib/libSMC.dylib /usr/lib/libperfcheck.dylib /usr/lib/libIOReport.dylib’
clang: error: no such file or directory: ‘/usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib’
Error in : Executing ‘cd “/Users/kutschke/Mu2e/GeometryViewer/GeometryBrowsing” ; clang++ -fPIC -c -O3 -DNDEBUG -std=c++17 -Wc++11-narrowing -Wsign-compare -Wsometimes-uninitialized -Wconditional-uninitialized -Wheader-guard -Warray-bounds -Wcomment -Wtautological-compare -Wstrncat-size -Wloop-analysis -Wbool-conversion -m64 -pipe -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fsigned-char -fno-common -Qunused-arguments -pthread -stdlib=libc++ -I/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/include/root -isysroot “/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/” -I"/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/etc/root" -I"/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/etc/root/cling" -I"/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/etc/root/cling/plugins/include" -I"/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/include/root" -I"/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/include" -D__ACLIC__ “/Users/kutschke/Mu2e/GeometryViewer/GeometryBrowsing/hello_cc_ACLiC_dict.cxx” ; clang++ -O3 -DNDEBUG “/Users/kutschke/Mu2e/GeometryViewer/GeometryBrowsing/hello_cc_ACLiC_dict.o” -dynamiclib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -m64 -single_module -Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs -undefined dynamic_lookup “/usr/local/Cellar/zstd/1.5.4/lib/libzstd.1.dylib” “/usr/local/Cellar/zlib/1.2.13/lib/libz.1.dylib” “/usr/local/Cellar/lz4/1.9.4/lib/liblz4.1.dylib” “/usr/local/Cellar/xz/5.4.1/lib/liblzma.dylib” “/usr/local/Cellar/pcre/8.45/lib/libpcre.dylib” “/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/lib/root/libRint.so” “/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/lib/root/libCore.so” “/usr/local/Cellar/pcre/8.45/lib/libpcre.1.dylib” “/usr/local/Cellar/xz/5.4.1/lib/liblzma.5.dylib” “/usr/local/Cellar/lz4/1.9.4/lib/liblz4.1.9.4.dylib” “/usr/local/Cellar/zlib/1.2.13/lib/libz.1.2.13.dylib” “/usr/local/Cellar/zstd/1.5.4/lib/libzstd.1.5.4.dylib” “/usr/lib/libfakelink.dylib /usr/lib/libenergytrace.dylib /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib /usr/lib/libapple_nghttp2.dylib /usr/lib/libcompression.dylib /usr/lib/libnetwork.dylib /usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib /usr/lib/libMobileGestalt.dylib /usr/lib/libcoretls.dylib /usr/lib/libcoretls_cfhelpers.dylib /usr/lib/libxar.1.dylib /usr/lib/libarchive.2.dylib /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftCore.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreFoundation.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftDarwin.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftDispatch.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftIOKit.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftObjectiveC.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftXPC.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswift_Concurrency.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswift_StringProcessing.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswiftos.dylib /usr/lib/libpcap.A.dylib /usr/lib/libdns_services.dylib /usr/lib/liblzma.5.dylib /usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib /usr/lib/libcharset.1.dylib /usr/lib/swift/libswift_RegexParser.dylib /usr/lib/libheimdal-asn1.dylib /usr/lib/libCheckFix.dylib /usr/lib/libmecab.dylib /usr/lib/libgermantok.dylib /usr/lib/libThaiTokenizer.dylib /usr/lib/libutil.dylib /usr/lib/libapp_launch_measurement.dylib /usr/lib/libmis.dylib /usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib /usr/lib/libcmph.dylib /usr/lib/libTLE.dylib /usr/lib/libspindump.dylib /usr/lib/libate.dylib /usr/lib/libexpat.1.dylib /usr/lib/libAudioStatistics.dylib /usr/lib/libSMC.dylib /usr/lib/libperfcheck.dylib /usr/lib/libIOReport.dylib” “/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/lib/root/libRIO.so” “/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/lib/root/libThread.so” “/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/lib/root/libCling.so” “/usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib” “/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/lib/root/libMathCore.so” “/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/lib/root/libImt.so” “/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/lib/root/libMultiProc.so” “/usr/local/Cellar/tbb/2021.8.0/lib/libtbb.12.8.dylib” “/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2/lib/root/libNet.so” “/usr/local/Cellar/openssl@1.1/1.1.1t/lib/libssl.1.1.dylib” “/usr/local/Cellar/openssl@1.1/1.1.1t/lib/libcrypto.1.1.dylib” -o “/Users/kutschke/Mu2e/GeometryViewer/GeometryBrowsing/hello_cc.so”’ failed!
/Users/kutschke/Mu2e/GeometryViewer/GeometryBrowsing/./hello.C:3:10: fatal error: ‘hello.cc++’ file not found
#include “hello.cc++”
^~~~~~~~~~~~
root [1]

The only reference to ROOT in my environment is:

printenv | grep ROOT
ROOTSYS=/usr/local/Cellar/root/6.26.06_2

At first I wondered if any of the library path related variables need to be defined but then I remembered that MacOS has disabled DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Can you download one of the latest version of 6.26 or 6.28 from the ROOT Website ? This should work with the latest OS version.
You can tell your MacOS security that you trust the installed file and you can use it safely

Best regards

Lorenzo

Thanks Lorenzo,

I am at a workshop until later this week – I will try it when I return.

Rob

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.