Root6 :: load macro with multiple functions defined

_ROOT Version: 6.16/00
_Platform: Fedora 30
_Compiler: 9.1.1

I have some headaches with running a macro that have multiple functions defined…
the error (after a succesful aclic compilation) is of the form of :
aliroot: symbol lookup error: /home.hdd/adrian/work/jets-work/test_pPb/EmcalJetCDF_C.so: undefined symbol: Z18CreateAlienHandlerPKcS0_jjS0_S0_S0

where CreateAlienHandler is a function with the following signature (and forward declared)
AliAnalysisAlien* CreateAlienHandler ( const char* gridMode, const char* tag, unsigned int nr_test_files = 20, unsigned int TTL = 43200 , const char* outdir = “output”, const char* subworkdir = “”, const char* extradirlvl = “”);

I tried to load the .so generated by aclic in rootlogon and it shows in ListLibraries but i have the same error
Is there a catch to this?
Thanks a lot!
Adrian

Hello @adrian_sev,

forward declaring is not enough. When you forward declare, everything that uses the function compiles, but to link, the function needs to be defined in a library that ROOT has seen (=loaded).

• Where is it defined exactly?
  • Is this file being compiled/loaded, e.g. by typing .L <fileWithDefinition.cxx>+ or by being linked into a library that’s being loaded?

Hi! It is just a macro that i run with root macro.C and it has multiple other functions… the thing is that when i chose another code path (that does not include this function) it works (so the other functions are found and used)
this is the macro EmcalJetCDF.C and i run it like this runGrid.sh

You are not forward-declaring what you define:
Fwd decl:

AliAnalysisAlien* CreateAlienHandler ( const char* gridMode, const char* tag, unsigned int nr_test_files, unsigned int TTL,
const char* outdir, const char* subworkdir, const char* extradirlvl ) {

Definition:

AliAnalysisAlien* CreateAlienHandler ( const char* gridMode, const char* tag, unsigned int nr_test_files, unsigned int TTL,
const char* outdir, const char subworkdir, const char* extradirlvl ) {

Check the type of subworkdir.

You have a bug in the CreateAlienHandle definition. There should be “const char *subworkdir” instead of “const char subworkdir”.

Thanks a lot!! By the way, how did you sow this? Just with optical recognition (and experience) or was something in the error that hinted towards the mismatch of the signatures?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.