ROOT5.10 on MacBook (Mac OS X 10.4.6)

Dear all,

I am using binaries of ROOT for earlier version of MacOS, and I got many errors during compilation of a complicated problem such as:

/Users/maggielee/root/include/TString.h:267: error: ‘TString& TString::operator+=(Long64_t)’ and ‘TString& TString::operator+=(Long_t)’ cannot be overloaded

This is one of the errors. However when I tried writing a simple c++ program to plot a history with ROOT, everything works properly. Can this be due to the problem of different version of gcc compiler? What should I do? Should I install ROOT from source?

Maggie

oh, typo: “histogram”, not "history"
sorry about that

Could you try with the pro version 5.12. If the problem persists, send a short running script reproducing your problem.

Rene

Dear Rene,

Thank you for your reply!
The program I am trying to compile needs ROOT5.10. When I changed to ROOT5.12, it says:

No rule to make target: ‘/Users/maggielee/root/include/TCache.h’, needed by ‘/Users/maggielee/geant4.7.0.p01/tmp/Darwin-g++/dyw/exe/dyw.d’. Stop.

Is there any other way to solve the problem?

Maggie

You seem to have a problem with dependencies in your Makefile.
Could you delete all the *.d files that generate this error message?

Rene

Dear Rene,

After I deleted the .d files (changed to ROOT5.12 already), it shows the same error messages as ROOT5.10 did, such as:

/Users/maggielee/root/include/TString.h: In member function ‘TString& TString::operator+=(Long_t)’:
/Users/maggielee/root/include/TString.h:480: error: ‘l’ was not declared in this scope

I am really confused now…
What should I do?

Maggie

Could you send the shortest possible setup reproducing the problem?

Rene

Dear Rene,

I am sorry that I cannot provide a simplified program since the program was developed by a group of people and I do not have the right to publish it on the web. I am sorry about that.

I have been trying ROOT5.10 (for MacOSX Intel PowerPC 10.4.5 gcc4.0.1) and ROOT5.12(for MacOSX 10.4.7 gcc4.0.1) binaries but both do not work and show the error I described in the previous post. However, there was no problem during compilation on Scientific Linux (with ROOT5.10). I don’t know if it is due to the difference in CPU architecture.

Is there any solution to my problem?

Maggie

Maggie,

You should provide the strict minimum to un derstand what
is the problem

Rene