Root with cygwin and windows seven

I would like to know
Q1) which version of Cygwin is comptible with Windows seven ans enable the use of root
Q2) could you give me a link to the right version of cygwin
Q3) which version of root is cygwin compatible
Q4) Is it better to use root with visual studio

Regards
Thibaut

Hi Thibaut,

[quote=“vinchon-thi”]Q1) which version of Cygwin is comptible with Windows seven ans enable the use of root
Q2) could you give me a link to the right version of cygwin
Q3) which version of root is cygwin compatible
Q4) Is it better to use root with visual studio[/quote]
We advise to use a native version of ROOT on Windows, built with Visual Studio, and no Cygwin. You can use pre-compiled binaries, or build yourself from source with CMake if you need features that are not part of the binaries. See for example the ROOT distribution page (v5.34/34)
Note that if you want to compile your code against root (or use ACLiC), then you have to use the exact same version of Visual Studio than the one used to build ROOT itself.

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand

Thanks for your answer wich gives us the good direction d=for the future
But for the moment our system was working before moving to Windows seven
So as least for a short period it would be usefull to work with a correct version of cygwin compatible with Windows seven
Can you advise me the appliccable cygwin version ( we are using root 5)

regards
Thibaut

Hi Bertrand

As explained in the thread above, our existing application was using cygwin
so the mimu!e change would ve to have a cywin solution on Seven
( note that out software need gcc but also g77 for fortan library )

So can you confirm me that there will be no more solution with Cygwen ( even with Seven 32 bit)

Regards
Thibaut

Hi Thibaut,

As we always said, the Cygwin build was not officially supported (only on a best effort basis). But you can still try to build from source and see if it works. I didn’t use Cygwin since quite a while now and I have no idea of which version would work (but I would try the latest version anyway)

Cheers, Bertrand.