ROOT versions

Hello, I´m kinda new in root. My adviser gave me a lot of macros that were created and used with root 5.18 or so. I have to use them but found that in my root version 5.34 or 6, the macro will get in some sort of endless loop.

I would appreciate any help.

PD. My boss showed me them running fine in his old root version.

Daniel.

Hi Daniel,

ROOT 5.18 is a release from 2008. I would go for the most recent ROOT6 version, root.cern.ch/content/release-60804 .
Don’t hesitate to post any issue you may encounter running the old macros backed up by a concrete reproducer.

Cheers,
Danilo

Ok, I can go for the newest version. In fact I already try yesterday but encountered the same problem. The execution of the macro in its original old version takes but 2 minutes top. When executing in root 6 it will take forever and nothing gets resolved. Is it a problem of compiler or something related?

Thanks so much

Hi,

nothing ring the bell. Please do not hesitate to post any reproducer which can make the problem more concrete.

Cheers,
D

Ok, so I debugged it on a linux machine with root 5.34 and it does run, but when I did exactly the same in my root version for macbook pro (model from 2012) I get this:

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
"_main", referenced from:
implicit entry/start for main executable
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

If I check it, the only difference between the linux version and this one is this line, with linux8664gcc instead of macosx64:

ROOT 5.34/26 (v5-34-26@v5-34-26, Feb 20 2015, 13:23:25 on macosx64)

Hi,

this perhaps requires more info. What did you actually do? What did you run? I thought you moved to ROOT6.

D

Hi,
are you sure that you don’t have any compiled flies in your directory (like *.so)?

It turns I had a conflict with versions, I finally removed any root5 vestiges and I´m completely sure to be running root6. Most of my macros work but some of them return this message

input_line_3:16:10: fatal error: file '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/../include/c++/v1/string' modified since it was first processed
#include <string>
         ^
input_line_8:2:10: fatal error: error opening file '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/../include/c++/v1/string':
#include <string>
         ^
root [0] 
Processing SDEMs_ext.C...
In file included from input_line_9:1:
/Users/DANNY/run_1.3/cosbins/SDEMs_ext.C:3:9: fatal error: file
      '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/../include/c++/v1/fstream' modified since it was first processed
#include<fstream>

What could I be missing?

Hi,

This could mean that your ROOT build and your Xcode installation are out sync. Though I’ve never seen this in real life. If you’re at CERN I would love to debug this…

Axel.

Unfortunately I am not in Europe. So I will have to do it myself with your help. Checking up the xcode I get this message

xcode-select --install
xcode-select: error: command line tools are already installed, use “Software Update” to install updates

Hi,

I have

$ echo | /usr/bin/clang++ -v -x c++ -fsyntax-only -
Apple LLVM version 8.1.0 (clang-802.0.42)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin16.5.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin
 "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang" -cc1 -triple x86_64-apple-macosx10.12.0 -Wdeprecated-objc-isa-usage -Werror=deprecated-objc-isa-usage -fsyntax-only -disable-free -disable-llvm-verifier -discard-value-names -main-file-name - -mrelocation-model pic -pic-level 2 -mthread-model posix -mdisable-fp-elim -masm-verbose -munwind-tables -target-cpu penryn -target-linker-version 278.4 -v -dwarf-column-info -debugger-tuning=lldb -resource-dir /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/clang/8.1.0 -stdlib=libc++ -fdeprecated-macro -fdebug-compilation-dir /Users/axel/build/root/cmake -ferror-limit 19 -fmessage-length 122 -stack-protector 1 -fblocks -fobjc-runtime=macosx-10.12.0 -fencode-extended-block-signature -fcxx-exceptions -fexceptions -fmax-type-align=16 -fdiagnostics-show-option -fcolor-diagnostics -x c++ -
clang -cc1 version 8.1.0 (clang-802.0.42) default target x86_64-apple-darwin16.5.0
ignoring nonexistent directory "/usr/include/c++/v1"
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../include/c++/v1
 /usr/local/include
 /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/clang/8.1.0/include
 /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include
 /usr/include
 /System/Library/Frameworks (framework directory)
 /Library/Frameworks (framework directory)
End of search list.

You don’t seem to have xcode installed, only the command line tools, right? Could you install Xcode?

Axel.