ROOT v6.26/16 is out!

Dear all,

We’re happy to announce v6.26/16, an update for ROOT for that branch. The code is very stable since a while now, we nevertheless recommend the this new release for the 6.26 branch because of an optimization in the I/O buffer sizes.

You can find the release notes here. This version will also soon arrive in your favorite package manager; thanks for all the packagers’ help in providing new versions!

Cheers,

Danilo for the ROOT team.

2 Likes

Your previous binary releases use 500 - 600 MB after unpacking.
The newest “root_v6.26.16.Linux-ubuntu22-x86_64-gcc11.4.debug” uses 1.2 GB.
The newest “root_v6.26.16.Linux-ubuntu20-x86_64-gcc9.4.relwithdebinfo” uses 1.8 GB.
You now decided to publish “debug” (slow binaries without optimizations) and “relwithdebinfo”?

Dear Wile,

Thanks for your timely observation. More standard binaries are indeed on their way and will become available by automated procedures as soon as they are produced.

Best,
Danilo

This is Ubuntu 22.04 / x86_64 here.
Your newest “v6.26.16” binaries depend on “libtbb.so.12” but you do not provide it.
Your older “v6.26.14” binaries depend on “libtbb.so.2” and they come with it.
Your “v6.28.12” and “v6.30.04” binaries also depend on “libtbb.so.12”, and they come with “libtbb.so.12.9”.
Am I now supposed to install the older “libtbb.so.12.5” from Ubuntu?

Update: It’s worse than I thought. Your newest “v6.26.16” binaries are missing many features that are present in your older “v6.26.14” binaries:

builtin_cppzmq
builtin_davix
builtin_ftgl
builtin_gl2ps
builtin_glew
builtin_lz4
builtin_lzma
builtin_nlohmannjson
builtin_pcre
builtin_tbb
builtin_unuran
builtin_vc