ROOT v6.26.02 building from source: (maybe temporary) issue with the download of the XROOTD component

Dear ROOTers,

After the news of the workshop, I am getting the latest v6.26.02 version building, building it from source as I am used to.
I do as from the manual:

git clone --branch latest-stable --depth=1 https://github.com/root-project/root.git root_src
[...]
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/CERN/ROOT/v6-26-02/ -DCMAKE_CXX_STANDARD=20 -Dfortran=ON -Dgviz=ON -Dminuit2=ON -Dbuiltin_unuran=ON -Dbuiltin_vc=ON -Dbuiltin_vdt=ON -Dbuiltin_veccore=ON -Dvecgeom=OFF -Doracle=OFF ../root_src 2>&1 | tee cmake_output.txt

The compilation process breaks during the download of the xrootd component, reporting in the log that the downloaded files does not match the expected checksum, see the extract below.

Not sure if a temporary issue (tried yesterday, i.e. 12/05/22) or a manual intervention is requested, so I decided to report this here.

Or maybe I am doing something wrong that I cannot figure out, but xrootd is a component that is enabled by default and I have not changed any default related to it in the cmake command line - btw what is this used for? Do I really need it for a mainly laptop/lab data usage?

I look forward to your feedback.

Best,
Matteo

[...]
-- [download 98% complete]
-- [download 99% complete]
-- [download 100% complete]
-- verifying file...
       file='/home/malfonsi/Downloads/SoftwareSources/root_build/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/v5.4.2.tar.gz'
-- SHA256 hash of
    /home/malfonsi/Downloads/SoftwareSources/root_build/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/v5.4.2.tar.gz
  does not match expected value
    expected: '84e8a9a2bcad116df479f94e985c287dd99fbac0613d4fbb61f4ccc0cef81fa3'
      actual: '2b394270c55cb3d14f3c44b692311db99d2d25278882b513d4d564b68a58ed4a'
-- Hash mismatch, removing...
-- Retry after 5 seconds (attempt #2) ...
-- Using src='https://github.com/xrootd/xrootd/archive/v5.4.2.tar.gz'
-- [download 0% complete]
-- [download 1% complete]
[...]
-- Hash mismatch, removing...

ROOT Version: “latest_stable” (expecting 6.26.02)
Platform: Debian 11
Compiler: gcc 10.2

“Stable” means it always behaves the same (well, you cannot build it, can you).

Take the “head” of the “unstable” v6-26-00-patches branch.

Hi @malfonsi79 ,
yes it’s unfortunate but there was a change in xrootd’s checksum that breaks compilation of the current stable branch, --branch v6-26-00-patches contains a patch that fixes the problem. Sorry for the trouble, v6.26.04 will make things better!

Cheers,
Enrico

1 Like

Hi all, I’m fairly inexperienced with ROOT though I’ve installed from binaries a few times in the past by following the install guide without issue. I believe I’m facing the same issue that this thread discusses in my current attempts to install on a new machine.

Could you explain how to use the patches page? i.e. what do I download or tell the command line to do? Let me know if I need to make a new thread for my issues. Thanks.

Edit: I think the intent was to replace --branch latest-stable with the patch, I received the same XROOTD error after using the following commands:

git clone --branch v6-26-00-patches --depth=1 https://github.com/root-project/root.git root_src
cd root_build/
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../root_install ../root_src
cmake --build . -- install -j8

Did you remember to remove the “root_build” directory first?

Hi @rjm544 ,

it’s likely that you don’t have to compile ROOT from source but you can instead install a pre-compiled package, see Installing ROOT - ROOT . It’s much simpler and much quicker.

If you really need to compile ROOT from source, please try again after removing the build and source directory, and if that fails please post the content of the xrootd build logs.

Cheers,
Enrico

1 Like

I think a pre-compiled package will work for now. I’ve been told to go for binaries when I can for the software I’m using. I downloaded a pre-compiled ROOT and so far everything seems to work. If nothing else it should hold me over until a regular fix is implemented. Thanks for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.