ROOT v5 on CentOS8.x?

Has anyone managed to install ROOT V5 on CentOS8.1 ? We have a new cluster but a lot of legacy ROOT v5 code . ROOT v5 installs on CentOS7.x but the build fails in cint on CentOS8.1 which uses gcc 8.3.1 . For some reason it cannot find iostream which is provided in the cint tree. There are directories with the necessary include files for gcc3.x and gcc4.x ( libgcc3 and libgcc4 ) but I cannot find where the build process picks the correct one. I presume it just gives up when it cannot find anything for gcc8 ( although I thought CentOS7 uses gcc5 ? ) . I know that ROOT v5 is no longer supported but I was hoping someone might know where to start looking and perhaps be able to provide some hints on how to do this.

Thanks in advance
peter

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

ROOT Version: 5.34_36
Platform: CentOS8.1
Compiler: gcc8.3.1

The search/selection happens in cint/cint/Module.mk, search for gcc4strm.cxx

Cheers,
Philippe.

Thanks for the suggestion. Adding gcc 8 gets me a bit further. However, Cint isn’t able to to generate the dictionary for cint/reflex/src/G__Reflex . It cannot handle some of the typedefs in /usr/include/c++/x86_64-redhat-linux/bits/c++config.h like : typedef decltype(nullptr) nullptr_t which happens id __cplusplus is more recent than 2011 …

I presume there is no simple way to make Cint understand the newer(?) syntax - right ?

peter

Indeed CINT does not know about the decltype keyword and would need to be added to the parsing code … (A workaround would be build in C++98)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.