The ROOT team is happy (and a bit proud!) to announce the release of ROOT v6.20/00! It took a while - but now it’s ready for you! Highlights:
- A new compression algorithm (ZSTD)[https://github.com/facebook/zstd.git] was added. Please use it: it’s faster than the default zlib, and it compresses better. (We don’t want to change the default: we want old ROOT versions to be able to read new files.) The release notes show how to use it.
- The new prompt functionality
root .help TTree::Drawdoes what you’d expect it to do: open ROOT’s documentation on TTree::Draw in a browser window (or, if remote, show the URL so you can click it.) We hope you’ll enjoy that!
- RooFit has lots of improvements in this release, from considerable speed-ups to a myriad of fixed bugs.
- ROOT does not show its splash screen during start-up anymore. In case you miss it, just run
- PyROOT receives a major upgrade in v6.22. You’ll need to get prepared by a couple of Python code changes on your side, notably when instantiating class templates from Python. The release notes spell out the details. And many, many bugs were fixed! See https://root.cern/content/release-62000 for details such as release notes and downloads.
- ROOT’s prompt as well as its Jupyter interface now allow you to re-declare many things:
root  int a = 0; root  float a = 42.;
As always, thank you very much for your reports, patches, reproducers, and simply for using ROOT!
Please come to the 2020 ROOT Workshop, June 8-11 at Fermilab. Submit your abstract soon, and please spread the news about the workshop, especially among young physicists.
Axel, for the ROOT team