ROOT on Win98

Is it true that I need install Visual C++ to work with ROOT?
Can I work on Win98 OS ?

Hi Alexey,

for root on win without msvc there is win32gcc (windows + cygwin + gcc + cygwin-X11). I believe cygwin is the OS-limiting factor now (I wouldn’t know why root win32gcc itself should care about the OS), and that says:

[quote]The Cygwin DLL works with all non-beta, non “release candidate”, ix86 versions of Windows since Windows 95, with the exception of Windows CE. There have also been reports of problems on Windows Server 2003.[/quote] (from the cygwin website)

So I suppose you should be fine with win32gcc. See the win32gcc link at the root download page for info on how to set things up.

Cheers, Axel.

Hi Alexey, Axel,

You can use Root without MSVC if you download binary distribution and if you don’t want to compile anything… :confused:

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Alexey and Bertrand,
from the root binary download pages:

Alexey - could you give me some feedback whether win32gcc works for you on win98? We could then change the OS requirement for win32gcc stated on that page.

Cheers, Axel.

try a simple thing
Install ROOT for your Windows from
root.bnl.gov

It is "one click " InstallShield installation and it should take you 5 min (depends of your Internet connection speed)

Hi Valeri,
I would happy to have the same with win32gdk. Help me, please.
BTW, I’m working on gui builder (built-in. like ActiveX, but better,
Qt should sleep after that … ). That will be - “absolutely amasing thing” (M$,relax)"

Regards. Valeriy

++
Do you remember that time …? I said to you that Qt is great!
… no, root must better

Hello Valeriy,

my CVS repository contains the InstallShield script. It is world-wide readable. I believe this is sufficient to create the “same thing”

I am very a happy to learn you are going to take over TrollTech and Microsoft alltogether :slight_smile:

I understand the only obstacle for you is to create something like InstallShield does. Why? Why don’t’ you add the built-in InstallShield features to ROOT?

Next release of InstallShield distribution for Windows will be shipped with win32GDK version as well.

Hi,

I tried to run the latest version of ROOT (win32gdk/.NET) on Windows 98 (non SE), with varying luck, on a Pentium 75 with 32 Mb of RAM.

Once ROOT is started, everything seems to run (the GUI and graphing classes are really slow altought).

But I am experiencing random crashes at startup only in various DLLs of ROOT, beginning by the C runtime (MSVC) to libcore and others.

After one or two crashes of ROOT and unsuccessful startups, the problem disappears and everything is fine.

I’ll try next week to run older versions of ROOT (compiled with MSVC 6.0), perhaps non-gdk based.

As a sidenote, do you have a particular root version that is optimized to run on a slow machine with such limited RAM ?

Thanks,

Denis Rosset

Hi Denis,
could you send more information (back traces, core dumps,
memory usage etc.) on it?

Thanks. Regards. Valeriy

++
win32gdk 3.10/02 is 3-4 faster than 3.05/07 and
is as fast as linux version. Memory usage is quite large > 20M.
We are working for improving it.

As for win32gdk vs. win32, I have no problems running win32 on Windows 98.

The crash dump is as follow (it is the same for several runs, e.g. crash point is not random) :

Version : WindowsXP/NT/w2000 with VC++ 7.0, version 3.10/02 (good old tar file) WIN32GDK (15.8 MB).

ROOT a causé une défaillance de page dans
le module LIBCORE.DLL à 0167:100bbe2d.
Registres :
EAX=00b7424c CS=0167 EIP=100bbe2d EFLGS=00010216
EBX=01b86c70 SS=016f ESP=0082fc4c EBP=009e9a80
ECX=00000014 DS=016f ESI=010fb594 FS=0da7
EDX=00100000 ES=016f EDI=00954b80 GS=0000
Octets à CS : EIP :
8b 08 0b ca 89 08 8b 87 c0 00 00 00 3b c6 7d 02
État de la pile :
01b86e00 01b86c70 00000000 0191cd66 01b86c70 01b86ea4 01b86ea0 00000000 01b86e00 0082fc94 01a4f62f 00000000 01969181 01b86c70 00402070 009e8020

I don’t have any debugging tool installed on the computer, so this is all I can send.

I’ll try the old 3.04/3.02 win32gdk (MSVC 6.0) version to see if the fault is the VC7 runtime, or the GDK layer.

Thanks,

Denis Rosset

Dear Valery,

(EDIT : double post)

The machine is a Pentium 75 with 32 Mo of Ram. The french version of Windows 98 (first edition) is installed. MSVC dlls have been updated to latest version using Windows Update.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Denis Rosset

Hi Denis,
could you send me the code (to reproduce the problem,
so as simple as possible)? I need to understand if it is
because of memory limitation or by some other reason.

Regards. Valeriy

++
win32 and win32gdk are “radically” different.
If you need only canvas graphics and have limited memory
win32 is probably prefrerable at the moment.
I will invetigate how to minimize/optimize memory usage of win32gdk.

Dear Valery,

the worst thing here is that no code is involved.

It crashes right at startup (starting root.exe from command line, or launching root.exe directly from Windows Explorer).

If I close all applications (including background tasks), it seems to launch correctly half the time.

Once started, everything works (but I must go there first !).

Thanks,

Denis Rosset

Hello
What is the swap space of your poor machine and what is its Video card capability and resolution. Are you working with 256 VGA color map?

Hi,

video card is able to do 800x600 in 16 bit colors, and 640x480 in 32 bit. I think it’s a S3.

And yes, it’s a poor machine, but it’s the only machine that has ISA slots for data acquisition on a old thermocouple interface.

1024x768 in 256 colors didn’t work (error message and crash), so I didn’t try anything in 256 colors.

Swap space is 32 mb, but Windows is free to increase it if necessary; it has sufficient free disk space (100mb)

Thanks,

Denis Rosset

I am begging a pardon for Non-ROOT offtopic (and “commercial” as Rene used to blame me for)

And yes, it’s a poor machine, but it’s the only machine
that has ISA slots for data acquisition on
a old thermocouple interface.

Yes. I did guess that. You need the ISA slot.
Last year I have been participating in several discusions about the plight of the systems like yours.

We were capable to retire just several ISA slot-based control systems
using for example serial-line modules from
omega.com

Check that Web site.

omega.com/ppt/pptsc_right.as … &des=pptsc

Rene, I have no affiliation with Omega either :slight_smile:

I just want to call your attention the “serial-line module” means you need no special custom driver to be invented. The standard “com”-port driver of any OS (WXP, Linux whatever) will do the job.

1024x768 in 256 colors didn’t work (error message and crash), so I > didn’t try anything in 256 colors.

Swap space is 32 mb, but Windows is free to increase it
if necessary; it has sufficient free disk space (100mb)

Thanks,

Denis Rosset[/quote]