Root on ubuntu 12.04

Hi,

I am new to ROOT (and ROOT-talk too) but not to C++. I would like to use ROOT on Ubuntu 12.04 (32 bit). I already configured with prefix=usr/local and then I wanted to set the environmental variable and went to the folder usr/local/bin and tried to run thisroot.sh. Well, unfortunatly I got an error message saying:
"./thisroot.sh: 31: ./thisroot.sh: Bad substitution".

Why I did this, is beacause if I type root into the terminal it gives me the following error message:
"/usr/local/bin/root.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libCore.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Does anybody have a suggestion?

Thank you!

Hi,

there are two ways to install ROOT.

You can no use PREFIX and simply source bin/thisroot.sh from build directory. This will update among others your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables.

Or you could install with PREFIX to install ROOT into your system. You are then expected to take care of eventually updating your environment variables yourself, e.g. for you library problem you would need to add /usr/local/root/lib to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

For users the first option is often more straight-forward, while the second works nicely for makers of distribution packages.

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply! Well, I guess I will reapeat evrything from the beginnig even thou I tried every possible way to set the environment variables! It does not seem to work! I will see now with the new config what will happen!

Thanks!

Hi,

The problem had a banal solution! In the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in .bashrc I mixed up two libraries!

Sorry for bothering everything is working like charm!

Thanks!