"root -memstat" doesn't work

ROOT Version: 6.22/02
Platform: mac os 10.15.6 (catalina)
Compiler: cling

Hello! I’m trying to debug a script that i suspect has a memory allocation issue at runtime. I discovered from doing “root -h” that there’s an option to track memory usage and statistics by specifying the option “-memstat” in my command. So i’d try something like “root -l -q -memstat mymacro.C++” to do so, and my script won’t even compile, despite including TMemStat.h, and despite successful compilation when not trying to use the -memstat option.

So, i tried to do just “root -memstat” and this also does not work, i get the following output at my screen:

input_line_11:2:6: error: unknown type name ‘TMemStat’
new TMemStat("",100000,5000000);
^

| Welcome to ROOT 6.22/02 https://root.cern |
| © 1995-2020, The ROOT Team; conception: R. Brun, F. Rademakers |
| Built for macosx64 on Aug 17 2020, 12:46:52 |
| From tags/v6-22-02@v6-22-02 |

Try ‘.help’, ‘.demo’, ‘.license’, ‘.credits’, ‘.quit’/’.q’

root [0] .q
input_line_12:2:2: error: ‘TMemStat’ is not a class, namespace, or enumeration
TMemStat::Close()
^
input_line_12:2:2: note: ‘TMemStat’ declared here

I’ve tried googling to get help with this error message, but i haven’t found much. Is there something i’m doing wrong here? Is there any other way to track memory allocation+usage in root while using a specific script that compiles fine, but crashes at runtime?

Thank you

The memstat feature apparently is not part of the ROOT built. You can verify it with root-config --features. If you compile ROOT yourself, you can enable TMemStat with cmake -Dmemstat=on.

@Axel Should memstat be built by default? And if it’s not built, should we remove the memstat option from root.exe?

This is now tracked as an issue.

Hello! just to follow up, indeed, if i type ‘root-config --features’, memstat is absent.

Though, to make it slightly more interesting, on a different machine/ROOT build i have, details:

ROOT Version: 6.08/02
Platform: mac os 10.11.6 (el capitan)
Compiler: cling

doing ‘root-config --features’ shows memstat in the list of available features on my install. however, trying to use the memstat option with “root -memstat” yields an instant bus error and crash as follows:

[CERNbox $] root -memstat

*** Break *** bus error

[ unknown binary ]
[ unknown binary ]
[ unknown binary ]
[ unknown binary ]
[ unknown binary ]
[ unknown binary ]
[ unknown binary ]
[ unknown binary ]
[ unknown binary ]
[ unknown binary ]
[ unknown binary ]

Well that’s certainly not nice. On the other hand both MacOS 10.11 and ROOT 6.08 are fairly old.
Feel free to open a new issue at github.com/root-project/root/issues if you think this is relevant.

About your underlying issue, namely a need to debug memory-related problems: valgrind might work better than TMemStat for certain problems. It’s a standard debugging tool. You can suppress known ROOT false positives when running valgrind on ROOT programs with

valgrind --suppressions=$ROOTSYS/etc/valgrind-root.supp ./yourprogram

Cheers,
Enrico

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.