Root location independant install prefix with cmake

I am trying to install Root onto standard linux folders (i.e /usr/local/include/root etc…), and not sure how to go about it using CMake.

I have installed root previously with gnu-make, and I think the installation directories were as expected when I put --prefix=/usr/local. However, CMake tries to install everything in the main folders (/usr/local/include/ vs /usr/local/include/root), and I don’t know how to change that.

I assume changing the options CMAKE_INSTALL_xxxDIR manually will have the desired effect, but not sure if that’s the intended way… Help?

Also, if changing CMAKE_INSTALL_xxxDIR IS the proper way, which paths should I change? xxx=LIB & INCLUDE & BIN?

Thanks!

P.S how do you type inline code blocks?

Try to configure it using something like:
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="/opt/ROOT" -Dgnuinstall=“ON” …

[quote=“Pepe Le Pew”]Try something like:
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="/opt/ROOT" -Dgnuinstall=“ON”[/quote]

Something similar to

Didn’t work, and tried to copy some header files to /usr/local/include/ You think I’m doing something wrong?

I tried it with ROOT 6.06/00 and it seems to work fine (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS / x86_64).
BTW. I hope you do remember that your “build” subdirectory must be different from your “source code” subdirectory (and different from your “install” subdirectory) and don’t forget to “unset ROOTSYS” in advance.

Please have a look at the ‘installation methods’ section in root.cern.ch/building-root
The ‘fix location’ and ‘location independent’ is controlled by the option ‘gnuinstall’.