ROOT License Question

Just wanted to make sure:
I write a free and open source software which depends on ROOT and whose code is on a public repository. I intend to make a stand alone binary bundle (release) out of it and want to put it on the public repository as well also for free download.

This would mean that I should distribute ROOT or part of it (binary libs) together with the binary version of my software in the bundle. Is this legally in accordance with ROOT license?

cheers.
:mrgreen:

Hi. I’m not a big expert in licensing, but: ROOT is under LGPL. I guess under this license you can do quite a lot of things with ROOT/its libraries/related code, in particular, create your own bundle with your app and distribute it with ROOT’s libraries :slight_smile:

see : root.cern.ch/drupal/content/license

Rene

Thanks. I am aware of the LGPL license text of ROOT. What confuses me is the following: According to the licenses, since my code is dynamically linked with ROOT, it will be classified as a “work that uses the library”. According to section No. 6

[quote] 6. As an exception to the Sections above, you may also combine or
link a “work that uses the Library” with the Library to produce a
work containing portions of the Library, and distribute that work
under terms of your choice…[/quote]
But things get weird when one goes on to section 6.a:

[quote]a) Accompany the work with the complete corresponding
machine-readable source code for the Library …[/quote]
And I go like: :open_mouth:

Do I really need to include the whole ROOT distribution in my executable bundle including source code, just because I need the runtime libraries? Keeping in mind that both my code and its binary version is free and open source under MIT which is an even less restrictive license than LGPL.

I don’t really fully understand it, but maybe section 6.d can help in this case

[quote]d) If distribution of the work is made by offering access to copy
from a designated place, offer equivalent access to copy the above
specified materials from the same place.[/quote]
just by telling people where ROOT srouce code can be found?

I’m pretty sure our lawyers will not cause you any trouble if you build/distribute/etc. and forgot to do something from the clause z.x.y. of this nice (and quite cryptic and casuistic/super-formal) LGPL text … :slight_smile:)))