ROOT license for academic use

Hello!

I am a physics student at a university working on research project that involves running simulations on a High performance computing cluster.
I need to install ROOT 5.34.32 for my simulations however this software is also going to be available for any one to use on the cluster. I am concerned about the licensing of this software. Are there any precautions I should take when installing this software? Do I need to create a disclaimer and where and how should I create it? Or do I just Install the software?
I’m asking because the page about ROOT’s licensing info is a bit confusion and unclear because we are using ROOT not modifying it.

Thanks,
Alejandro

Hi Alejandro,
ROOT is released under the GNU Lesser General Public Lincense (quickly summarized here. It is a free, open-source license, so you can certainly install it on your cluster and let people use it – as long as you respect the terms of the license (but I am sure that there is no issue in your use case).

EDIT: for completeness, the license is distributed together with ROOT, and you can read it here.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.