ROOT installation problems in ubunt 22.04

Hello,

I am trying to install version 6.26.02 (after trying unsuccessfully with 6.22.06) on Ubuntu 22.04. The problem seems to be related to the XROOTD, see below

gmake[2]: *** [builtins/xrootd/CMakeFiles/XROOTD.dir/build.make:98: builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-download] Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:8391: builtins/xrootd/CMakeFiles/XROOTD.dir/all] Error 2
gmake: *** [Makefile:156: all] Error 2

I have came across a couple of threads in this forum asking to first check that the libssl-dev dependency is correctly installed, for this, I get:

libssl-dev is already the newest version (3.0.2-0ubuntu1.1).

Another thread suggest to set -Dbuiltin_xrootd=OFF but the problem persisted.

I also need to add that I followed the same approach for the root version 6.22.06 and 6.24.06 and in both cases, I got the same problem each time.

Any ideas about what I could be doing wrong?
Thanks in advance

ROOT: Version:6.26.02
Platform: Ubuntu 22.04
Compiler: gcc (Ubuntu 11.2.0-19ubuntu1) 11.2.0

Hi @_rthur ,
this is a known issue with 6.26.02 that will be fixed in 6.26.04.

However, unless you have a very specific reason to build ROOT from source, it’s probably simpler to use the pre-compiled binaries or another of the available packages, see Installing ROOT - ROOT . In other words it is likely that you don’t have to compile ROOT from source.

Cheers,
Enrico

Hi Enrico,

Thanks for the quick reply and glad that this will be fixed in the new release. In the past, the only problem I had with the per-compiled binaries was that they were not build with some of the flags I needed.

However, this time I only need minuit2, pyroot for python3 and genvector. Are these built in the binaries? How can I check how they were compiled?

Thanks,
Arturo

Running root-config --features in a terminal shows which features a certain ROOT binary was built with. You can also quickly try things out in docker with e.g. docker run -it rootproject/root:6.26.02-ubuntu22.04.

Cheers,
Enrico

Great! I will give a try.

Thank you very much!
Cheers,
Arturo

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.