Root installation problem using windows subsystem method

Hello .
I am having a problem installing root using ubuntu subsystem on windows 11.
The current problem →

[ 72%] Building CXX object interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/obj.clangSema.dir/SemaDecl.cpp.o
[ 72%] Building CXX object interpreter/cling/lib/Utils/CMakeFiles/obj.clingUtils.dir/Output.cpp.o
[ 72%] Building CXX object interpreter/cling/lib/Utils/CMakeFiles/obj.clingUtils.dir/Paths.cpp.o
[ 72%] Building CXX object interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/obj.clangSema.dir/SemaDeclAttr.cpp.o
[ 72%] Building CXX object interpreter/cling/lib/Utils/CMakeFiles/obj.clingUtils.dir/PlatformPosix.cpp.o
[ 72%] Building CXX object interpreter/cling/lib/Utils/CMakeFiles/obj.clingUtils.dir/PlatformWin.cpp.o
[ 72%] Building CXX object interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/obj.clangSema.dir/SemaDeclCXX.cpp.o
[ 72%] Building CXX object interpreter/cling/lib/Utils/CMakeFiles/obj.clingUtils.dir/SourceNormalization.cpp.o
[ 72%] Building CXX object interpreter/cling/lib/Utils/CMakeFiles/obj.clingUtils.dir/UTF8.cpp.o
[ 72%] Building CXX object interpreter/cling/lib/Utils/CMakeFiles/obj.clingUtils.dir/Validation.cpp.o
[ 72%] Built target obj.clingUtils
[ 72%] Building CXX object interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/obj.clangSema.dir/SemaDeclObjC.cpp.o

c++: fatal error: Killed signal terminated program cc1plus
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/obj.clangSema.dir/build.make:336: interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/obj.clangSema.dir/SemaDeclAttr.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Deleting file ‘interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/obj.clangSema.dir/SemaDeclAttr.cpp.o’
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…
Scanning dependencies of target clingMetaProcessor
[ 72%] Linking CXX static library …/…/…/…/lib/libclingMetaProcessor.a
[ 72%] Built target clingMetaProcessor
Scanning dependencies of target clingUtils
[ 72%] Linking CXX static library …/…/…/…/lib/libclingUtils.a
[ 72%] Built target clingUtils
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:18447: interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/obj.clangSema.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:152: all] Error 2

PS : the same problem occure’s with version 6.24.06
ROOT Version: 6.24.02
Platform: Windows using ubuntu subsystem (wsl)

Do you really need to compile it? If not, it’s easier to use a precompiled version (listed under “binary distributions”), just make sure it’s the one for your Ubuntu (20, 18,…).

so you are telling me that i should get a binary option and not a source instead ? all I did is to follow a tutorial on how to do it , so any help would be appreciated

Assuming you have WSL1:

If you don’t know how to use wget (for step 4), click on Download at the top of this page, then click on the latest ROOT release and download the (compressed) Binary version for your Ubuntu; then just unpack it to some folder and add this line

source /path/to/root/bin/thisroot.sh

at the end of your .bashrc file (of course, using your correct path to that file), as per the instructions. And do not forget that the X server (Xming or VcXsrv ) must be running every time you want to use graphics in ROOT or any graphical thing in that Ubuntu.
By the way, in step 3, the “export…” line should also be added to .bashrc, so you don’t have to type it every time.

1 Like

I will try it and I will let you know the results.
Thank you for your help and your time!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.