Root, Cygwin, and gcc-3.4.4-3

Hello,

Cygwin has updated its version of gcc to a version 3.4 that fixes (many of) the string problems that it had before. Would it be possible for you guys to use this new version when compiling Root binaries?

Thanks,
   Charles

p.s. I know that you guys prefer that people use the MS compilers, but for many people, that isn’t really an option. Long live Posix!

Hi Charles,

Angelo Graziosi has been providing input to the cygwin guys for the -2 and -3 releases based on the problems we had with ROOT. One could almost say that -2 and -3 are ROOT’s cygwin-GCC patch releases :slight_smile: So I expect things to work nicely with -3 (can’t test yet, as my favorite mirror doesn’t have it yet).

The current ROOT production version 5.14 is built with a slightly modified 3.4.4-2, by the way. It should be compatible with any code built with -3.

Cheers, Axel.

Great! Thanks to everybody for the work!

Charles

p.s. Is it true that if i want to run a version of root < 5.14 and gcc 3.4.4-{2,3}, I’ll have to compile that version from sources (or should I be able to compile against, say, root 4.02 libraries (gcc version 3.3) with gcc 3.4.4-3)?

Hi Charles,

[quote=“cplager”]should I be able to compile against, say, root 4.02 libraries (gcc version 3.3) with gcc 3.4.4-3?[/quote]Yes, you should be able to do that - but you probably knew that already :slight_smile: In reality, though, I’d recommend you to re-build ROOT from sources, also because e.g. 4.02 was built with a pretty old cygwin installation. Still, it’s supposed to be compatible…

Cheers, Axel.

Part of the reason I ask is they explicitly mention that some software will need to be recompiled:

cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-12/msg00629.html

So, it really is possible that it won’t work. Your suggestion of building from sources sounds like the right answer.

Thanks again,
   Charles

Hi,

AFAICT Charles’s comment only holds for packages built with the broken -1 version of cygwin-GCC. ROOT binaries were never built with that.

Axel.

[quote=“Axel”]
AFAICT Charles’s comment only holds for packages built with the broken -1 version of cygwin-GCC. ROOT binaries were never built with that.[/quote]

Good to know.