Root build:: jemalloc breaks libcppyy

ROOT Version: git v6-24-00-patches @5af1fa4d3d
Platform: fedora 34
Compiler: 11.2.1 20210728

enabling jemalloc in the build and trying rootls throws:

time rootls -h
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/physics-tools/ROOT/v6-24-00-patches/lib/cppyy/__init__.py", line 60, in <module>
importlib.import_module(libcppyy_mod_name)
File "/usr/lib64/python3.9/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1030, in _gcd_import
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1007, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 986, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 666, in _load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 565, in module_from_spec
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 1173, in create_module
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 228, in _call_with_frames_removed
ImportError: /lib64/libjemalloc.so.2: cannot allocate memory in static TLS block

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/physics-tools/ROOT/v6-24-00-patches/bin/rootls", line 10, in <module>
import cmdLineUtils
File "/home/physics-tools/ROOT/v6-24-00-patches/lib/cmdLineUtils.py", line 82, in <module>
import ROOT
File "/home/physics-tools/ROOT/v6-24-00-patches/lib/ROOT/__init__.py", line 22, in <module>
import cppyy
File "/home/physics-tools/ROOT/v6-24-00-patches/lib/cppyy/__init__.py", line 62, in <module>
raise ImportError(
ImportError: Failed to import libcppyy3_9. Please check that ROOT has been built for Python 3.9

that time is there because at first usage (after fresh compilation) it stays a looong time compiling something, and i wanted to time it and investigate why is so…

Thank you for reporting, I will have a look and get back to you.

I tried on my ubuntu machine with ROOT master and jemalloc and can’t reproduce. I’ll see if I can try on one of our fedora nodes.

I tried on fedora34, jemalloc=ON, gcc 11.1.1, python3.9, current ROOT 6.24 patches (so almost the same configuration as you except for the slight compiler version difference) and I can’t reproduce:

[sftnight@root-fedora34-1 build_jemalloc]$ rootls -h
usage: rootls [-h] [-1] [-l] [-t] FILE [FILE ...]

Display ROOT files contents in the terminal.

positional arguments:
  FILE               Input file

well, who knows what is going on … i do not really need jemalloc, so my report was more on a “heads up” mode than “i encountered a bug”. so, this can be closed, if it becomes endemic, from multiple reports it will be easier to spot the culprit. thank you for taking time to check this!!
L.E. i forgot to mention that the build and install is done with ninja … should not matter isn’t it?

I would say it shouldn’t matter, anyway thank you for reporting! I’ll be vigilant in case this is reported again.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.