ROOT build error from source

_ROOT Version:6.26.06
_Platform:Fedora Linux 36

Hi

I m trying to build ROOT from source in my fedora , but I am getting an error after

cmake --build . --target install

command.
The error I get is

[  1%] Performing build step for 'XROOTD'
CMake Error at /home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-build-Release.cmake:49 (message):
  Command failed: 2

'/usr/bin/gmake'

See also

/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-build-*.log

gmake[2]: *** [builtins/xrootd/CMakeFiles/XROOTD.dir/build.make:86: builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-build] Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:7905: builtins/xrootd/CMakeFiles/XROOTD.dir/all] Error 2
gmake: *** [Makefile:156: all] Error 2

with the log file :

No git repository info found. Trying to interpret VERSION_INFO
[I] Using the user supplied version: v5.4.3
[I] src/XrdVersion.hh successfully generated
/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/XrdTls/XrdTlsSocket.cc: In member function ‘XrdTls::RC XrdTlsSocket::Connect(const char*, std::string*)’:
/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/XrdTls/XrdTlsSocket.cc:268:8: warning: declaration of ‘rc’ shadows a previous local [-Wshadow]
  268 | do{int rc = SSL_connect( pImpl->ssl );
      |        ^~
/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/XrdTls/XrdTlsSocket.cc:254:15: note: shadowed declaration is here
  254 |    int ssler, rc;
      |               ^~
In file included from /home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/./XrdCrypto/XrdCryptosslX509Crl.hh:38,
                 from /home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/XrdTls/XrdTlsTempCA.cc:43:
/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/./XrdSut/XrdSutCache.hh: In member function ‘XrdSutCacheEntry* XrdSutCache::Get(const char*, bool&, XrdSutCacheGet_t, void*)’:
/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/./XrdSut/XrdSutCache.hh:130:17: warning: declaration of ‘status’ shadows a previous local [-Wshadow]
  130 |             int status = 0;
      |                 ^~~~~~
/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/./XrdSut/XrdSutCache.hh:114:11: note: shadowed declaration is here
  114 |       int status = 0;
      |           ^~~~~~
In file included from /home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/./XrdCrypto/XrdCryptosslX509Crl.hh:38,
                 from /home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/XrdCrypto/XrdCryptosslX509Crl.cc:41:
/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/./XrdSut/XrdSutCache.hh: In member function ‘XrdSutCacheEntry* XrdSutCache::Get(const char*, bool&, XrdSutCacheGet_t, void*)’:
/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/./XrdSut/XrdSutCache.hh:130:17: warning: declaration of ‘status’ shadows a previous local [-Wshadow]
  130 |             int status = 0;
      |                 ^~~~~~
/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/./XrdSut/XrdSutCache.hh:114:11: note: shadowed declaration is here
  114 |       int status = 0;
      |           ^~~~~~
/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/XrdOuc/XrdOucArgs.cc: In member function ‘int XrdOucArgsXO::operator==(char*)’:
/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/XrdOuc/XrdOucArgs.cc:47:24: warning: declaration of ‘optarg’ shadows a global declaration [-Wshadow]
   47 | int   operator==(char *optarg)
      |                  ~~~~~~^~~~~~
In file included from /home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/XrdPosix/XrdPosixXrootd.cc:62:
/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/./XrdPosix/XrdPosixFile.hh:158:22: note:   by ‘virtual int XrdPosixFile::Trunc(long long int)’
  158 |        int           Trunc(long long Offset) override;
      |                      ^~~~~
/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/./XrdOuc/XrdOucCache.hh:406:14: warning: ‘virtual void XrdOucCacheIO::Trunc(XrdOucCacheIOCB&, long long int)’ was hidden [-Woverloaded-virtual]
  406 | virtual void Trunc(XrdOucCacheIOCB &iocb, long long offs)
      |              ^~~~~
In file included from /home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/XrdPosix/XrdPosixXrootd.cc:66:
/home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/./XrdPosix/XrdPosixPrepIO.hh:78:13: note:   by ‘virtual int XrdPosixPrepIO::Trunc(long long int)’
   78 | int         Trunc(long long Offset)
      |             ^~~~~
/usr/bin/ld: /home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-build/src/XrdCl/libXrdCl.so.3: undefined reference to `uuid_unparse'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/Shin101/ROOT/ROOT_BUILD/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-build/src/XrdCl/libXrdCl.so.3: undefined reference to `uuid_generate'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[5]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/xrdadler32.dir/build.make:100: src/xrdadler32] Error 1
gmake[4]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:370: src/CMakeFiles/xrdadler32.dir/all] Error 2
gmake[3]: *** [Makefile:136: all] Error 2

it is a 14506 line long log file

I tried it on different versions of root but gave same error.

Thank You

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I found a similar problem in the past posts:

Do you have admin rights on your machine? You have uuid-devel installed? Are you having some custom LD_LIBRARY_PATH that doesn’t point to the right library?

If you are on some remote machine where you don’t have administrator rights, you should also get in touch with your system administrator, since this problem is more specific to your system than it is to ROOT.

Hi , yes i have admin rights and i did install uuid-devel after seeing the post also i have no LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the.bashrc

Also i get the error right in the beginning at about 1%

Okay, good that you are admin!

The next thing I would try is to install the xrootd package with yum, and then try to build ROOT with the builtin xrootd disabled (with the -Dbuiltin_xrootd=OFF configuration option):

With some luck you don’t get the same error when building the rest of ROOT!

Hi , i tried turning all the variables with xrootd OFF but it still showed some error , but somehow on restarting the computer the all the errors were gone ROOT was installed successfully.

Thanks for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.