Root branch v6-30-00-patches for C++20 Not Quite Working

checking for the obvious first, if you grep -F 'z]' glbox.C does that find something? It should not.

No, nothing comes up for that grep. That’s not all the errors that are spewing. Let me add a few lines to the errors I’m seeing:

Error in <TFormula::Eval>: Formula is invalid and not ready to execute 
z] is unknown.
gaus[x is unknown.
Error in <TFormula::Eval>: Formula is invalid and not ready to execute 
z] is unknown.
gaus[x is unknown.

There are two places in the root source code that prints this out and it is here and here, both in hist/hist/src/TFormula.cxx. If you look at those two links, you’ll see that the messages z] is unknown comes from the printf within that for-loop. But knowing where in the code that error is spewing from and why it’s spewing that error — the latter I couldn’t tell you. You’ll need to consult with the owner of that code.

I just compiled v6-30-00-patches with cmake -S . -B cmake-build -DCMAKE_EXPORT_COMPILE_COMMANDS=ON -G Ninja -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=cmake-build/install and the tutorial displays fine for me with and without the new web graphics. That’s not to say there isn’t a problem, just that it might depend on a difference between my environment and yours.

Did you build it with the same compiler I specified in the post (gcc/g++ 10.5.0)? This was the cmake config summary of my build:

System          Linux-5.15.0-87-generic
Processor       8 core 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11850H @ 2.50GHz (x86_64)
Build type      Release
Install path    /home/jade/bin/root-v6-31-00-patches
Compiler        GNU 10.5.0
Compiler flags:
C                -Wno-implicit-fallthrough -pipe -Wall -W -pthread -O3 -DNDEBUG
C++              -std=c++2a -Wno-implicit-fallthrough -Wno-noexcept-type -pipe  -Wshadow -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fsigned-char -pthread -O3 -DNDEBUG
Linker flags:
Executable       -rdynamic
Module          
Shared           -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--hash-style="both"

-- Enabled support for:  asimage builtin_afterimage builtin_clang builtin_cling builtin_ftgl builtin_gl2ps builtin_glew builtin_llvm builtin_lzma builtin_nlohmannjson builtin_openui5 builtin_pcre builtin_tbb builtin_vdt builtin_xrootd builtin_xxhash builtin_zstd clad dataframe exceptions gdml http imt mlp minuit2 opengl proof pyroot roofit webgui root7 rpath runtime_cxxmodules shared ssl tmva spectrum vdt x11 xrootd
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/jade/root/linux-build

How does your config settings in your successful build differs?

FYI, this was using the same build that gave that warning that I haven’t been able to get to root cause.