Root binary for Mac OS X 10.4 PPC

Newbie here (as far as Root is concerned).

I am trying to install the root binary on my quad G5 Power Mac running 10.4.11 (last version of Tiger). The version I want to use is Production Version 5.26.

So I d/l’d the relevant tarball and expanded everything into a newly created directory; let’s call it ~/prog/Root.

1st problem: trying to run root (which is in root/bin) it asks for root.exe in root/bin/bin (note the double /bin). That directory does not exist (i.e. was not created during installation). root.exe does exist in root/bin.

Ok, easy fix: makedir bin in bin and copy root.exe over.

Now I get this error:
rootx xpm error: XpmOpenFailed
dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/bellenot/ROOT/osx104_ppc_gcc401/root/lib/libCore.dylib

The same error happens when I call root with -config.

So, why the heck is it looking for a user bellenot?? That does not exist on my system (and it will not, either).

The library in question does exist in root/lib in my installation, but how can I fix the path it searches?

I may be doing something more fundamentally wrong here (like: do I have to install into /user or into / ??)… any help is appreciated.

Uli

Hi,

You have to set the ROOTSYS environment variable pointing to the location where you installed ROOT, add $ROOTSYS/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, and add $ROOTSYS/bin to your $PATH

Cheers, Bertrand.

Ah, so there’s where Bellenot comes from. Nice to meet you.

Anyway, your hints helped a lot, thanks.

However, it takes a really long time to start up. Looking at the output of root -config I see loads of references to /afs/cern.ch/… (basically everything that refers to some location or directory), which would explain the delay (I am running this on machine located at SLAC).

Anything else I have to set to change these?

Uli

Hi Uli,

Nice to meet you too :slight_smile:
The problem comes from the fact that several external libraries are taken from afs at build time. Maybe compiling ROOT from source would help, then you would have ROOT configured with what is available on your machine, and will get rid of the “bellenot” and afs issues…

Cheers, Bertrand.

Ok, I think I understand, but that is at this point too scary for me. The machine I do this on is remote & if I mess it up I have no way of recovering. Also, the reason for pulling the binary was precisely not to have to recompile root (and get tangled in dependencies, versions of gcc and Developer Tools, …).

So I think I’ll see how far I get with this binary I have. I guess as long as I (being at CERN at present) can reach the machine it can reach CERN as well…

It does beg the question whether there isn’t a way to package the whole thing up in a way that it is self-contained. Maybe I am straying away too far here, but somehow I never understand why, in Unix land, one has to always deal with libraries, dependencies, versions of the developer tools etc., whereas in Windows land and Mac OS X proper (root seems to be more like a Darwin app) one can get one file (like a .dmg) that just runs as long as the OS version is supported…

Anyway, apologies for the rant and thanks for the help,

Uli