ROOT 6 on cygwin

Hi,

I saw that recent versions of ROOT 6 have not been built for Cygwin (Windows), since 6.00.02 “due to an issue with gcc 4.8 not being able to compile clang/llvm”. In case you didn’t notice, I see that Cygwin has been upgraded to gcc 4.9.2, and llvm/clang have been rebuilt using that version (see https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-02/msg00006.html and
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-02/msg00036.html).

Can ROOT 6.0.2/3 now be built for Cygwin?

Thanks,
Tim.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the information. We’ll update and try to produce binaries.

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

Did have a chance to try to get ROOT 6 built for cygwin?

There was another GCC update (cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2 … 00160.html), but that’s probably not required. LLVM/Clang is the same version I mentioned before.

Thanks,
Tim.

Hi Tim,

Last time I tried (with gcc4.9) it was still failing… But I’ll try again

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

If the problem is still that GCC can’t compile Clang/LLVM, could you just take the Cygwin Clang/LLVM packages pre-built? Cygwin includes the devel packages.

If you really need to rebuild Clang/LLVM, the Cygwin source patches or Cygport configuration should help. The Cygwin source package should compile out of the box with the latest Cygwin version. If not, you should be able to get help from the maintainers on the Cygwin mailing list.

Sorry if I’m repeating the obvious or stupid. This is just in case it is helpful.

Thanks,
Tim.

its curious that i succedd in building root6.02.01 with msys1.0+mingw64 4.8.3

the rootexes are fully built,and most of the module libs are built (libmathcore.dll afterwards…etc).though there were some error needed to be solved but i dont think they are dead ones.

i dont know why root6 limit itself within “cygwin windows edition”.

are there necessary shortcomings under windows??as far as i know,clang/llvm 3.6 fully supports mingw abi.

Dear All,

FYI, I’m actively working on a native Windows port of ROOT 6, and if I have to support all possible combinations of Cygwin/gcc/Mingw/x86_64/i386, I will have no time left to work on the native version. So users contribution is welcome (if fully tested) on those platforms. But as mentioned on the ROOT web site, we officially don’t support Cygwin.
And so far, nobody managed to convince me about the advantage of having ROOT on Cygwin instead of a native version of ROOT on Windows…

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

I thought the idea was to use Cygwin until the native Windows version could be built. Since it worked with ROOT 6.00, it should be much easier to get it working again with Cygwin even if this is just an interim measure. I hope my previous advice was helpful for this goal.

Actually, I would much prefer a Cygwin version, compared to either VC++ or MingW. Since it is much closer to Linux and OSX than the native Windows, it allows me to develop and test ROOT analysis and other code on a Windows client, minimising the risk of doing something that won’t work on Linux servers or my colleagues’ OSX laptops. In particular, the VC++ build environment is quite different. In addition, VC++ ROOT has not generally worked well (or at all) from a Cygwin terminal session.

But don’t let my preference for Cygwin discourage you from using it as a stop-gap solution until you can finish the VC++ version. We can argue for restoring official Cygwin support later.

Thanks,
Tim.