ROOT 6.30.04 build failed on macOS 14.4 arm64 Xcode 15.3

same issue, and thanks for temporary fix

1 Like

Hi! Same problem. I tried to use the @Subhadip_Pal solution but I am getting further errors:

In file included from input_line_7:18:
/Users/marias/Software/root_build/include/TThreadPool.h:28:10: remark: building module ‘std_queue’ as ‘/Users/marias/Software/root_build/lib/std_queue.pcm’ [-Rmodule-build]
#include
^
Error: Building module ‘std_queue’ implicitly. If ‘std_queue’ requires a
dictionary please specify build dependency: ‘G__Thread.cxx’ depends on ‘std_queue’.
Otherwise, specify ‘-mByproduct std_queue’ to disable this diagnostic.
[ 76%] Built target G__complexDict
[ 76%] Generating G__mapDict.cxx, …/…/lib/libmapDict.rootmap
[ 76%] Built target G__forward_listDict
[ 76%] Generating G__map2Dict.cxx, …/…/lib/libmap2Dict.rootmap
[ 76%] Built target G__listDict
[ 76%] Generating G__unordered_mapDict.cxx, …/…/lib/libunordered_mapDict.rootmap
[ 76%] Building CXX object core/rint/CMakeFiles/G__Rint.dir/G__Rint.cxx.o
[ 76%] Built target G__vectorDict
[ 76%] Generating G__multimapDict.cxx, …/…/lib/libmultimapDict.rootmap
[ 76%] Linking CXX shared library …/…/…/…/lib/libcppyy_backend3_12.so
[ 76%] Building CXX object core/clingutils/CMakeFiles/G__mapDict.dir/G__mapDict.cxx.o
[ 76%] Built target cppyy_backend3_12
[ 76%] Generating G__multimap2Dict.cxx, …/…/lib/libmultimap2Dict.rootmap
In file included from input_line_7:22:
/Users/marias/Software/root_build/include/ROOT/TThreadedObject.hxx:31:10: remark: building module ‘std_thread’ as ‘/Users/marias/Software/root_build/lib/std_thread.pcm’ [-Rmodule-build]
#include
^
Error: Building module ‘std_thread’ implicitly. If ‘std_thread’ requires a
dictionary please specify build dependency: ‘G__Thread.cxx’ depends on ‘std_thread’.
Otherwise, specify ‘-mByproduct std_thread’ to disable this diagnostic.

It looks like the last three lines from your suggestion do not apply to that set of errors. Did you also saw such thing? I guess I should add similar lines (as suggested) to some CMakeLists.txt but I cannot find it :frowning:

1 Like

the trick I used is to compile with single thread as “cmake --build . – install -j1” after applying the suggested fix.
good luck

1 Like

Same for me

Hello @mstefaniak, I think I saw something similar at first. But I didn’t add such lines in any other CMakeLists.txt file. After making changes in the core/CMakeLists.txt file I configured ROOT again using Cmake and then built it. It worked.

Good luck.

Yes, I am doing it precisely like you wrote. Unfortunately, that is not a solution :frowning: thanks!

The latest master version is compiling fine on Mac with XCode 15.3 now

2 Likes

@couet what does it mean “master”? Can I also download it with:

git clone --branch latest-stable --depth=1 https://github.com/root-project/root.git root_src

Dear @mstefaniak , all,

Thanks for this thread and for sharing your issues and concrete workarounds: it was impressive for me to observe your positive attitude!

We worked hard on this issue and the master branch of ROOT has been fixed (see this PR). If you can, you just have to update your repo, reconfigure and rebuild. Should you encounter more issues, please do not hesitate to come back to us either through the forum, or, slightly preferred for issues like this one, on our GH tracker.

On our side, we upgraded also our CI, by adding nodes running the macos beta, getting the latest updates of OS and XCode, which sometimes cause instabilities to applications. This will allow us to spot future problematic updates in advance. A release of 6.30, once a backport of the fix is available, will be provided.

Thanks again for your collaborative attitude!

Best,
Danilo

1 Like

To get the master branch, remove --latest-stable when cloning,

1 Like

I went through that part and failed further:

[ 86%] Building CXX object geom/geom/CMakeFiles/Geom.dir/src/TGeoXtru.cxx.o
ld: archive member ‘/’ not a mach-o file in ‘/Users/marias/Software/root_build/FREETYPE-prefix/src/FREETYPE/objs/.libs/libfreetype.a’
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
gmake[2]: *** [graf2d/graf/CMakeFiles/Graf.dir/build.make:671: lib/libGraf.so] Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:43022: graf2d/graf/CMakeFiles/Graf.dir/all] Error 2
gmake[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…

Hi,

This problem seems to be unrelated and could be caused by some remnants in your build directory. If it persists, I propose to open another thread about it.

Best,
D

1 Like

I just reinstalled the root using brew (the latest stable release), and it works fine on my sonoma 14.3.1 version of MacOS. Has there been any fix? I did install all the dependencies separately as well.

Hi Maninder,

Welcome to the ROOT community.
Thanks for sharing: these are good news. There was a fix in the master branch of ROOT. We are working with priority to fix also other branches.

Best,
Danilo

Hello: Can you tell us which version of Xcode and Command Line Tools you have installed?

Hi,
I have the xcode 15.3. I installed all the dependencies listed for linux system using brew.

1 Like

I confirm that I also observe the same issue with OSX 14.4 M1 and CLI 15.3. This happend before for Apple CLI upgrade.

My solution is to downgrade to CLI 15.1

If you reinstall ROOT from the main branch, the conflict with XCode and CLT 15.3 has been resolved. I have this working on my OSX 14.4 M1 silicon-based life form.

Please see this other thread:

Your solution has solved my problem perfectly. Thank you for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.