ROOT 6.12/02 and LZ4

Hello, I downloaded ROOT 6.12/02 and tried to compile it. After few minutes, I get the following error

CMake Error at LZ4-stamp/LZ4-download-RelWithDebInfo.cmake:16 (message):
Command failed: 1

‘/opt/cmake/bin/cmake’ ‘-Dmake=’ ‘-Dconfig=’ ‘-P’ ‘/home/cea/root-6.12.02/builddir/LZ4-prefix/src/LZ4-stamp/LZ4-download-RelWithDebInfo-impl.cmake’

See also

/home/cea/root-6.12.02/builddir/LZ4-prefix/src/LZ4-stamp/LZ4-download-*.log

CMakeFiles/LZ4.dir/build.make:89: recipe for target ‘LZ4-prefix/src/LZ4-stamp/LZ4-download’ failed
make[2]: *** [LZ4-prefix/src/LZ4-stamp/LZ4-download] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:405: recipe for target ‘CMakeFiles/LZ4.dir/all’ failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/LZ4.dir/all] Error 2

I attach the LZ4-download-*.log files but it seems that the problem comes from the fact the computer on which I try to install this ROOT version is not connected to the Internet.

I already suffered of this with ROOT 6.10. I gave some arguments explaining why I think that supposing that the computer is connected to the Internet is not a good idea in the post I linked and @faustus123 gave other arguments.

Could you change cmake in order it fails if LZ4 is not found on the computer (without supposing that it could get it from the Internet later)?

LZ4-download-out.txt (853 Bytes)
LZ4-download-err.txt (2.7 KB)

Hi, we are aware of the problem that certain dependencies require a network connection. This isn’t easy to address, unfortunately, at least not without some major changes to the build system. However, it is in our plan of work for next year. LZ4, TBB, etc, all need to be available without a network connection. For now, you will have to install the dependencies on your system, and use -Dbuiltin_<package>=OFF if you want <package> to not be downloaded when ROOT is built.

1 Like

Ok! Thanks for these informations. Should we open a JIRA ticket to follow the evolution of this task?

Note that concerning LZ4, ccmake does not allow me to disable builtin_LZ4 (OFF). Is there any reason?

A JIRA ticket has been opened aboutthis behaviour.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.