ROOT 5.17 on Ubuntu 7.04

Hi folks,

I tried install ROOT on Ubuntu 7.04 downloading the source from root.cern.ch and type the command sequences below:

$ sudo apt-get install libx11-dev
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential
$ sudo apt-get install libXpm-dev
$ sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev
$ sudo apt-get install libxext-dev
$ sudo apt-get install libxft-dev

$ tar zxvf root_v5.17.02.source.tar.gz
$ cd root
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/root --libdir=/usr/local/root/lib --incdir=/usr/local/root/include --datadir=/usr/local/root/share --docdir=/usr/local/root/share/doc
$ make -j2
$ sudo make install

After compilation, I type $ root -l in a terminal but ROOT are not loaded and appear the message:

[quote]pacheco@pacheco-laptop:~$ root -l
/usr/local/bin/root.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libCore.so.5.17: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[/quote]

Any suggestion to fix it?

Cheers,
Marco Pacheco - PhD. student

Did you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH ?
Check for a possible mismatch between PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Rene

Hi,

putting /usr/local/lib/root (your --libdir) into /etc/ld.so.conf might be a good idea for a --prefix install into /usr/local/root, too. That way you don’t need to set any env vars.

Axel.

Hi,

I has success in install ROOT 5.14, installing the GL headers (libglu1-mesa-dev) and configuring with the options ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-soversion --enable-rpath and using make -j2.

I tried this same options to ROOT 5.16 and 5.17 and have problem in both.

Cheers

Hi,

did you try what we suggested? Is the error message still “/usr/local/bin/root.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libCore.so.5.17: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory” or are you referring to a different problem now?

Axel.

Hi Axel,
unfortunately I did not have opportunity to test the suggestions because I tried the instalation with another versions. I cannot compile the version 5.16 with make and, like a miracle, everything work when I tried with the version 5.14.

About the error message when I tried ran the version 5.17, I receive the exactly message that you put.

Just to confirm: I used the same configuration option for the 3 versions that I tried perform the instalation and only with 5.14 version I had success and it is work very fine :slight_smile: Another observation is that I not set any environment variable to use root 5.14.

Cheers,
Marco Pacheco

I have the same problem when using ROOT with 7.04 ubuntu. Any suggestions available? I used the flags to build it

./configure linuxx8664gcc --prefix=/opt --enable-opengl

So that it winds up in the /opt directory.

Unfortunately, when I try to run it, I get the same error about

/opt/bin/root.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libCore.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What is it that I’m missing? I thought with the --prefix= flag I wouldn’t have to do anything with $ROOTSYS and such. Is this true or did I misunderstand the guide? I don’t find the guide to be that clear.

Hi,

you don’t need ROOTSYS, but your OS needs to find the libraries. Check where libCore.so is (/opt/lib/root or something like that), and put its path into /etc/ld.so.conf.

Axel.

[quote=“Axel”]Hi,

you don’t need ROOTSYS, but your OS needs to find the libraries. Check where libCore.so is (/opt/lib/root or something like that), and put its path into /etc/ld.so.conf.

Axel.[/quote]

I’ve got the same problem, and I added ‘include /usr/local/lib/root/libCore.so’ to /etc/ld.so.conf, but it didn’t help anything. Is there possibly anything else that could be done?

I think you must add /usr/local/lib/root (a directory, not a file) to /etc/ld.so.conf

Cheers,
Philippe

[quote=“pcanal”]I think you must add /usr/local/lib/root (a directory, not a file) to /etc/ld.so.conf

Cheers,
Philippe[/quote]

That didn’t work either…

What is the content of your ld.so.conf?

Philippe

[quote=“pcanal”]What is the content of your ld.so.conf?

Philippe[/quote]

Just

include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
include /usr/local/lib/root/

It should read:

include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
/usr/local/lib/root/

Cheers,
Philippe

I’m still getting the same error message after taking out the include. Perhaps its a problem with something else?

Make sure that libCore.so and libCore.so.5.17 are in the directory /usr/local/lib/root (Otherwise use which ever directory they are in).
Try also without the trailing /

Cheers,
Philippe

I don’t know if this is related, but until messing around with root geant4 was working perfectly, but now when I try to execute files made with geant4, I get a similar error message:

‘error while loading shared libraries: libCLHEP-2.0.3.1.so: cannot open shared file: No such file or directory’

And I didn’t get it before.

Also, I made sure the files were actually in /usr/local/lib (which they were) and tried removing the trailing /, but it still refuses to work.

Hi,

In ld.so.conf, did you try /usr/local/lib instead of /usr/local/lib/root ?

Philippe

I figured it out, for some reason it worked once I put /usr/local/lib/root/
/home/me/2.0.3.1/CLHEP into ld.so.conf. Thanks for all the help Philippe!