Root 5.16 does not compile on os x

Hello,

I downloaded the source code for roort 5.16 because the default (on my ibook with newest os x) gcc compiler (gcc 3.3) does not seem to have a binary available (only for gcc 4.01). The ./configure command seems to work, but make fails with:

build/rmkdepend/main.c: In function redirect': build/rmkdepend/main.c:745: warning: implicit declaration of functionfchmod’
gcc -O2 -pipe -W -Wall -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -DINCLUDEDIR="/usr/include" -DOBJSUFFIX=".o" -o build/rmkdepend/parse.o -c build/rmkdepend/parse.c
gcc -O2 -pipe -W -Wall -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -DINCLUDEDIR="/usr/include" -DOBJSUFFIX=".o" -o build/rmkdepend/pr.o -c build/rmkdepend/pr.c
g++ -O2 -pipe -W -Wall -Woverloaded-virtual -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -DINCLUDEDIR="/usr/include" -DOBJSUFFIX=".o" -o build/rmkdepend/mainroot.o -c build/rmkdepend/mainroot.cxx
cc1plus: error: unrecognized option `-fvisibility-inlines-hidden’
make: *** [build/rmkdepend/mainroot.o] Error 1
dyn006110:~/root_v516 markhodgkinson$

What could the problem be?

I am compiling on the latest os x version with gcc 3.3. Let me know if other information (and how to get it) is required to understand this.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi,

why do you try with gcc 3 instead of the Mac OS X 10.4 default gcc 4?
We don’t support gcc 3 on Mac OS X.

Cheers, Fons.

[quote=“rdm”]Hi,

why do you try with gcc 3 instead of the Mac OS X 10.4 default gcc 4?
We don’t support gcc 3 on Mac OS X.

Cheers, Fons.[/quote]

By default on my ibook gcc -v gives 3.3, not 4. It gives 4 now that I installed a newer xCode version. So now I can buld root. I have the os x updates turned on by default and was never asked to update xCode or gcc. So in my case by default using vanilla update settings I had gcc 3.3.

Cheers,

Mark