ROOT 5.16.00 on Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty

I successfully compiled ROOT 5.16.00 from source on Ubuntu 7.10, but it crashes as soon as I try to open a TBrowser in CINT:

[euler] root >> root
Using rootlogon.C
root [0] TBrowser b
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".
Attaching to program: /proc/5788/exe, process 5788
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread -1225581792 (LWP 5788)]
0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
error detected on stdin
The program is running.  Quit anyway (and detach it)? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Detaching from program: /proc/5788/exe, process 5788

Help?

After doing:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

reconfiguring and recompiling, CINT seems to work and I can run the sample scripts in $ROOTSYS/tutorials/.

BUT, now when running a compiled program that I wrote, which uses ROOT libraries, I get a seg violation.

*** Break *** segmentation violation
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".
Attaching to program: /proc/9503/exe, process 9503
[New Thread -1246370112 (LWP 9503)]
error detected on stdin
The program is running.  Quit anyway (and detach it)? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Detaching from program: /proc/9503/exe, process 9503

This same seg violation is what lead me to upgrade to the new version of Ubuntu and reinstall ROOT. I had gotten this seg violation previously with Ubuntu 7.04 and ROOT 5.14. My software is in a CVS repository, and when I check out the code on different computers, I never get this seg violation, and everything runs smoothly.

Obviously, something is not right with my laptop. Please help.[/code]

Hi,
how did you reconfigure? You need to run “make distclean”, then re-run configure, and then make. If you didn’t run make distclean in between your root build might be inconsistent.

Did you rebuild your program? After upgrading ROOT it won’t work without recompiling it.

Cheers, Axel.

root 5.17/04 on ‘gutsy’ ubuntu 7.10 is done easily

include the following line in your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb mirror.phy.bnl.gov/debian-root/ubuntu gutsy main contrib

[if you have added any other root related repositories, e.g. for clhep, remove them]

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

hi
thanks jal, you way to install root is working without any problems.
of cause you have to add the command line

apt-get install root-system

regards
florian

Jal , thanks a lot , working perfect ! No doubt ,the easiest way to install ROOT

Stephan

Hello,
I have compiled the ROOT 5.18 source code on my Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy system. Everything seemed to work very well, but when I try to run a Qt application based on root (and QtRoot) I get the following error:

[quote]*** Break *** segmentation violation
Using host libthread_db library “/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1”.
Attaching to program: /proc/16225/exe, process 16225
[New Thread -1265027392 (LWP 16225)]
error detected on stdin
The program is running. Quit anyway (and detach it)? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Detaching from program: /proc/16225/exe, process 16225
[/quote]

It is the same error that reece has (or had). Please, let me know if you already has a soultion.

Thanks.

Hello,

I had similar problems with the gusty release. Whenever I tried to load some of my own shared libs, Cint came up with that error message. I tried the solutions proposed above, recompiled v5.17 and v5.18. Neither worked. In the end I replaced the ‘gROOT->ExecuteMacro(".L mylib.so");’ lines in my .rootlogon.C by ‘gSystem->Load(“mylib.so”);’ and now everything is working like a charm!

Thanks but, It won’t work for me since I am dealing with a C++ program instead of a root macro.

Does the dynamic linker find all of the necessary shared libraries? (You can check this by typing ‘ldd yourexecutable.exe’ in a terminal.

Hello,
I did it, and nothing wrong with the dynamic linker.
Let me summarize the problem.
I succesfully compiled ROOT 5.18.00 from source on my Kubuntu 7.10 system in this way:

setenv ROOTSYS /cern/root (my ROOT path) cd $ROOTSYS ./configure linux --enable-mathcore --enable-mathmore --enable-qt --enable-minuit2 --enable-table --enable-roofit --enable-mathmore --enable-qtgsi make
After that, and following the ROOT User’s guide, I also did:

Because I need the libQGLViewer.so library for my program and it is not present in the Qt-layer included with ROOT, I installed QtRoot from CVS source as well.

cd /cern cvs -d :pserver:cvsuser@cvs.bnl.gov:/data01/CVS login password: cvsuser cvs -d :pserver:cvsuser@cvs.bnl.gov:/data01/CVS co -d QtRoot root cd QtRoot setenv QTROOTSYS /cern/QtRoot setenv QTROOTSYSDIR $ROOTSYS qmake qtRoot.pro make install
and Everything OK. ROOT seems to work perfect when I type root in a terminal. The problem comes when I try to run a ROOT-based Qt application, for example, the HelloWorld example under the directoy $QTROOTSYS/qtExamples (the same happend with any example included there).cd $QTROOTSYS/qtExamples/HelloWorld qmake make HelloWorld
Then, I always get the same error:

** $Id: TGQt.cxx,v 1.172 2007/11/06 19:25:15 fine Exp $ this=0x8351438 Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1". Attaching to program: /proc/8094/exe, process 8094 [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled] [New Thread -1260005024 (LWP 8094)] 0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall () error detected on stdin The program is running. Quit anyway (and detach it)? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal] Detaching from program: /proc/8094/exe, process 8094