ROOT 5.16.00: cannot open file "libRint.so"

Hello,

I’ve noticed a peculiar problem with the latest production version of ROOT, compiled by me under Linux from sources - on two different architectures, i.e. x86 and amd64. ROOT builds and installs fine, but whenever I run it I get the following messages:

$ root
Error: cannot open file "libRint.so"  :0:
Error: cannot open file "libRint.so"  :0:
*** Interpreter error recovered ***
  *        W E L C O M E  to  R O O T       *
  *   Version   5.16/00      27 June 2007   *
  *  You are welcome to visit our Web site  *
  *          http://root.cern.ch            *

Compiled on 13 July 2007 for linuxx8664gcc with thread support.

CINT/ROOT C/C++ Interpreter version 5.16.21, June 22, 2007
Type ? for help. Commands must be C++ statements.
Enclose multiple statements between { }.
root [0] 

As a result of the error ROOT doesn’t parse my rootlogon file, but otherwise everything appears to work as it should.

I have run strace on the root executable and while I couldn’t figure out what exactly causes the problem, I have noticed that for some reason libRint.so is looked for in include directories instead of lib. Indeed, creating a symlink to /opt/root/lib/libRint.so in /opt/root/include makes the problem go away.

Please let me know if you need any more information to help you get rid of this problem.

MS

Hi,
could you post the content of config.status, config/Makefile.config, and the values of $ROOTSYS and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
Axel.

Unfortunately the source tree was already gone when I read your request and only yesterday did I manage to get to rebuilding ROOT. Interestingly enough, the problem is gone in the rebuilt version (on x86 at least, I have yet to try the amd64 box)! I suspect this must have been some glitch caused by running make in concurrent mode, as I normally use something around -j3.