ROOT 4.04/02d install in Cygwin (WinXP)

I am trying to install ROOT 4.04/02d install in Cygwin (WinXP). My compiler is gcc version 3.4.4. I follow the usual method for installation from source:

tar zxf root_vxxxxx.source.tar.gz

Then install it by typing these command lines.

cd root
export ROOTSYS=$PWD
./configure win32gcc
make

But I keep getting the following error:

build/unix/wingcc_ld.sh: line 12: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `’'
build/unix/wingcc_ld.sh: line 31: syntax error: unexpected end of file
make: *** [bin/rmkdepend.exe] Error 2

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
Anuj

Hi Anuj,

this is a bug in bash. We have a work-around in place in the cvs version of ROOT. So run cd $ROOTSYS cvs -d:pserver:cvs@root.cern.ch:/user/cvs login # enter pass: cvs cvs -z3 up -d -P make
Good luck!
Axel.

Hi Axel,

Thanks for the reply. When I try the set of commands, I get the following error:

bash-3.00$ cvs -z3 up -d -p
cvs update: No CVSROOT specified! Please use the `-d’ option
cvs [update aborted]: or set the CVSROOT environment variable.

What do I set the CVSROOT variable to?

Thanks for helping out a newbie,
Anuj

Hi,
o, I thought the $ROOTSYS/CVS dir was included in the sources. Either way, running cd $ROOTSYS cvs -d:pserver:cvs@root.cern.ch:/user/cvs login # enter pass: cvs cvs -d:pserver:cvs@root.cern.ch:/user/cvs -z3 up -d -P
should work. You only need to run cvs login once; I suppose you did that, so running the last line (from within $ROOTSYS) is sufficient. Once you did that, you can always update your local source version using a simple cvs -z3 up -d -P (cvs up remembers the first -d… setting).
Axel.

Hi Axel,

Now I get the error:

bash-3.00$ cvs -d:pserver:cvs@root.cern.ch:/user/cvs -z3 up -d -P
cvs update: in directory .:
cvs [update aborted]: there is no version here; run ‘cvs checkout’ first

I am in $ROOTSYS, so I don’t understand why it does not recognise any version here

bash-3.00$ pwd
/cygdrive/c/root4.04/root

Thanks,
Anuj

Hi,

d’oh. For some reason, the 4.04/02d sources don’t contain the necessary CVS information. Please download the newest root source file, ftp://root.cern.ch/root/root_v5.02.00.source.tar.gz, and try again. This also saves you a lot of time updating your sources, as a lot has changed between your version and the newest one. You will still have to run the cvs -z3 up -d -P command, to get the latest changes (like the bash bug work-around).

Cheers, Axel.

Hi Axel,

On following your instructions, I was able to compile ROOT successfully. Unfortunately, when I
try to run ROOT, it goes into some sort of infinite
loop. It uses 99% of my CPU, but I dont’ get the prompt. Thanks for helping with the compilation. I
think at this point, I am going to try a pre-built
version of ROOT. I’ll let you know how that goes.

Regards,
Anuj

Hi,

there have been reports of this behavior, which is due to a problem in cygwin. I’m afraid I cannot solve it - we just have to wait until someone reproduces it in a smaller application, so the cygwin guys have a handle to debug it.

You’re right, though: a pre-built binary distribution might be a solution. Good luck.

Cheers, Axel.

Hi ,

I have the same problem. I have used root_v5.02.00 and I used CVS commands as mentioned above, but still I get the same error mesage as bigining:

build/unix/wingcc_ld.sh: line 12: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `’'
build/unix/wingcc_ld.sh: line 31: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Would you mention how could you pass this error?

Thanks for your kind attention

Hi,
in build/unix/wingcc_ld.sh, replace sed 's#^lib/.*\.dll$##'bysed 's,^lib/.*\.dll$,,'
Let me know if this solves it, please.
Axel.

Hi Axel,

I made changes mentiond above and it went smoothly for half an hour but i got another error:

xmlparser/src/TDOMParser.cxx:29:25 libxml/tree.h: No such file or directory
xmlparser/src/TDOMParser.cxx:30:36 libxml/parserInternals.h: No such file or directory
xmlparser/src/TDOMParser.cxx: In member function ‘virtual Int_t TDOMParser::ParseFile(const char*)’:
xmlparser/src/TDOMParser.cxx:70 error: ‘xmlCreateFileParserCtxt’ undeclared (first use this function)
xmlparser/src/TDOMParser.cxx: …

“” errors on several lines 77,78,79,…""

make: *** [xmlparser/src/TDOMParser.o] Error 1

Best regards
Sohani

Hi,
install cygwin’s libxml2 and libxml2-devel packages.
Axel.

Hi Axel,

It’s Done.
Thanks a lot for your kind help.

Best regards
Sohani