Roadmap && milestones 2022

Happy NY!
what is the Roadmap && milestones of ROOT development for 2022?

Regards. Valeriy

Hi Valeri,
Happy new year to you too!
We’ll let you know once it is finalized
Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,
where can I find the status of V7 development?

Regards. Valeriy

++
Did you manage (is it possible) to build 64-bit ROOT under windows?

Not sure we have a status report of v7… Maybe @Axel knows

Yes, the current master compiles on 64-bit, but there are still some failing tests

I mean arch=x64, not win32 …

right, and as I said, it does compile, but some tests are failing in 64-bit

great!
Did you compile it with cl or clang?

With cl, as described in Installing ROOT - ROOT, for example:

cmake -G"Visual Studio 16 2019" -A Win32 -Thost=x64 -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../root_install ../root_src

I meant
cmake -G"Visual Studio 17 2022" -A x64 …

++
about building … it takes >3 hours to compile llvm on my laptop. Is it neccesary to have it in the ROOT sources?

Yes, both should work

Hi Valeriy,

I have updated the ROOT7 page to reflect what’s going on. Don’t hesitate to ask any specific questions you might have!

Axel.

1 Like

Hi Axel,
Attributes are important and powerful feature in C#
There is similar thing in ROOT - in place comments of class methods which are accessible via Reflection

For example, long time ago I introduced // *SIGNAL signature to point out that the method can be used in signal-slot connection.

There is “Obsolete” attribute in C# saying about the method should not be used if possible.

I suggest to use similar technique in the v7 development

old interfaces will simply stay frozen

Regards. Valeriy

Hi Axel,
I VERY like adopting RootJS approach for canvas graphics!
In fact this is back ''to origin", to the good old times of Valeri Fine when TCanvas was without TGxxx decorations.
I would add SDL2 implementation for the internal “core graphics” to run it (GPU/GL/DirectX powered) everywhere and even on my smartphone :slight_smile:

Regards. Valeriy

Hi Axel,
do you know any news on adding Reflection to the C++ standard? It would be great for ROOT7

Regards. Valeriy

Totally! We finally have the “technical specification” published: ISO - ISO/IEC TS 23619:2021 - Information technology — C++ extensions for reflection

Now, people hate templates, but it’s not clear what else to use (constexpr, consteval, etc is really not nice to use either). I hope we will find out this year!

he-he :slight_smile:

BUY THIS STANDARD for CHF158

Well, you know… the draft is available for download here and you can even latex it yourself from this. But somehow ISO isn’t stating that :wink:

that’s better!
why it took for so long time to even for drat?
seems C++ is the last BIG language which do it :frowning:

It’s slow because it’s done to a large part by people like me, who have a real job on the side :wink: I agree it’d be really good for C++ to have reflection, finally.

I read it during 6 hours trip from Protvino to Dubna today …
sorry to say, but messy :frowning:

during 6 hours trip I also read Rene’s “The future of HEP computing” … that’s the different story, but funny

1 Like