Reply by email?

Hi,

This is not about ROOT as such, but rather about replying by email to a Discourse topic.
smael Posada Trobo from the CERN Discourse team pointed out that I might contact you about this issue, as in https://discourse.web.cern.ch/t/reply-via-email-without-subaddressing/990 . I am, in particular, interested in finding a way to reply to a notification by email so that the rpely gets posted in the topic, knowing that CERN’s mail service does not allow sub-addressing which Discourse uses to pass the reply_key.
Any suggestion with this is welcome.

Cheers,
Ralf.

Hi,

I’m sure @Axel will be happy to give you some technical details about this issue once he’s back

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

That is great news. When will @Axel be back?

Cheers,

Ralf.

Hi Ralf,

I’m back! Let me reply by email :wink:

Exchange does not support address-local parts. We had to set up our own
mailserver and register its MX record.

Kopano should help. We’ll probably migrate that to Kopano once it’s +/-
official. If I were you I’d try Kopano now instead of setting up a
mailserver. Ismael is (now) aware of this, too.

Let me know if I can provide additional info.

Cheers, Axel.

Hi Axel,

Thank you very much for your answer.

However, I am not sure that we, i.e. ESE-BE, would like to set up our own mail server. That makes a lot of services to be maintained for a very small team. But if I understand it right, there might be a chance that the new CERN mail server, based on Kopano, could provide what I was asking for. I will get back on this with Ismael.

In the mean time, I have also seen that other people in our group, use the reply to an e-group for this purpose, and the e-group contains a service account which is being polled by Discourse. Discourse then associates the reply to the right topic by its subject, and removes the quotes from previous emails. But the latter does not work perfectly.

Generally, it seems my problem can be solved in one way or another. And I thank you very much for your insight.

I have another questions, but I will open a new topic.

Cheers,
Ralf.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.