RDataFrame: Snapshot does not work properly after Define and Range call

Dear experts,

I am currently having problems saving a RDataframe after calling Range() on it. Most variables are empty (at least everything that is a std::vector),

What I do is

// create dataframe
ROOT::RDataFrame df(tree_name,"some_rootfile.root");
// define variables needed for cuts and/or in the output
df=df.Define("leptmp", "return Construct<ROOT::Math::PtEtaPhiEVector>(lep_pt/1000., lep_eta, lep_phi, lep_E/1000.);"); // new RDataFrame to save the variable
df=df.Define("lep_theta", "return ROOT::VecOps::Map(leptmp,[](ROOT::Math::PtEtaPhiEVector x){return x.Theta();})");
// Filter events
df = df.Filter("All(lep_pt > 27000. && lep_z0*sin(lep_theta) < 0.5)");
// get a second dataframe with just 50000 entries
auto df_example = df.Range(0,50000.);
// save both dataframes
df_example.Snapshot(tree_name, "some_example_rootfile.root");
df.Snapshot(tree_name, "some_output_rootfile.root");

For the dataframe with all entries everything works fine, all variables are stored in the output file. For the example file, the variables are there but all std::vector ones are empty. What am I doing wrong or what am I missing here?

As this is a rather old code, I am using ROOT version 6.26/04.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Thanks for the interesting post.
This is not expected. Could you try out with a recent 6.30 release? Could you also, if that fails, share with us the input file so that we can reproduce?

Cheers,
D

Hi Danilo,

I tried it now with ROOT version 6.30/02, but it still does not work. I have sent you a direct message, since I was not able to upload the input file here (probably too large). Here is the link to my cernbox: CERNBox

Cheers

Dear @eneb,

I have tried your example but I re-wrote it a bit so that it can be compiled and reproduced easily and standalone:

#include <ROOT/RDataFrame.hxx>
#include <ROOT/RVec.hxx>
#include <Math/Vector4D.h>
#include <TInterpreter.h>

int main(){

gInterpreter->GenerateDictionary("ROOT::RVec<ROOT::Math::PtEtaPhiEVector>", "Math/Vector4D.h;ROOT/RVec.hxx");

// create dataframe
    ROOT::RDataFrame df("mini","mc_410000.ttbar_lep.root");
    // define variables needed for cuts and/or in the output
    auto df1 = df.Define("leptmp", "ROOT::VecOps::Construct<ROOT::Math::PtEtaPhiEVector>(0.001*lep_pt, lep_eta, lep_phi, 0.001*lep_E);"); // new RDataFrame to save the variable
    auto df2 = df1.Define("lep_theta", "return ROOT::VecOps::Map(leptmp,[](ROOT::Math::PtEtaPhiEVector x){return x.Theta();})");
    auto df_norange = df2.Filter("All(lep_pt > 27000. && lep_z0*sin(lep_theta) < 0.5)");

auto df_range = df_norange.Range(0,50.);
    // save both dataframes
    auto snapshot_df_ranges = df_range.Snapshot("outputTree", "output_ranges.root");
    auto snapshot_df_no_ranges = df_norange.Snapshot("outputTree", "output_no_ranges.root");

return 0;
}

The problem has nothing to do with the call to Ranges(). The main issue in your example is the missing the dictionary, with my debug version of ROOT what I see as an error is:

Error in <TTree::Branch>: The class requested (ROOT::VecOps::RVec<ROOT::Math::LorentzVector<ROOT::Math::PtEtaPhiE4D<double> > >) for the branch "leptmp" is an instance of an stl collection and does not have a compiled CollectionProxy. Please generate the dictionary for this collection (ROOT::VecOps::RVec<ROOT::Math::LorentzVector<ROOT::Math::PtEtaPhiE4D<double> > >) to avoid to write corrupted data.

hence I added the line above:

gInterpreter->GenerateDictionary("ROOT::RVec<ROOT::Math::PtEtaPhiEVector>", "Math/Vector4D.h;ROOT/RVec.hxx");

You can also follow a similar example here: Not being able to write RVec<PtEtaPhiMVector> object into root file with RDF snapshot

Cheers,
Marta

Hello Marta,

Thanks for the help! I already found the thread you linked before and tried to implement the solutions there for my case, but it did not work.

Unfortunately, your solution, including the line

did not work as well. I still have empty variables in the output where I use Range(). (In the other output file everything is still complete, as before.).

Is it important where the files are stored, which are generated by GenerateDictionary? Because I run the my script from outside the directory where the executable is located. So, the files generated from GenerateDictionary are located where I run the script.

Is there a chance for me to run a debugging version of ROOT to check if it gives some error messages I otherwise do not get?

I tested your solution with the ROOT 6.26/04 and ROOT 6.30/02.

Thanks a lot!