}
and
class B : public TGMainFrame
{
public:
B(const TGWindow *p, UInt_t w, UInt_t h);
ClassDef(B,1)
}

The realizations of these two classes are similar. Only “fMainFrame” is changed on “this” using editor and one line is added
fMainFrame = new TGMainFrame(p,w,h).

Class A works. Class B generate error on the last line of constructor
this->MapWindow(). Of course I can use variant of class A. But is variant of class B correct or not? These were done on Windows XP+SP2 with ROOT 5.11.06

Thanks in advance,
Andrey

Hi Andrey,

I have never faced a problem when changing the code of a class in a way described by you. Please send a small macro that shows this problem. Please note, in both classes ClassDef should have 0 as second parameter (the object I/O features of ROOT are not needed).

Cheers, Ilka

Hi Ilka,

I have not the macro but attached a small Visual Studio project reproducing this error:
Unhandled exception at 0x7c81eb33 in TestA.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: __non_rtti_object @ 0x0012fa00.

On my computer ROOT libraries and include files are in the D:\root\work\lib and D:\root\work\include correspondingly. It can be change in the project properties.

Best Regards,
Andrey
TestA.zip (170 KB)

Hi Andrey,

You must Enable Run-Time Type Info (/GR) in Project Properties -> C/C++ -> Language.

Cheers,
Bertrand.

Thanks Bertrand,

(/GR) option helped. When I made variant like class A as it desribed in the previous message the option (/GR) was not used and code worked.

Can you explain when this option is necesary or it may be used smoothly in all projects.

Sincerely Yours,
Andrey

Hi Andrey,

According to MSDN :
Run-time type information (RTTI) is a mechanism that allows the type of an object to be determined during program execution.
There are three main C++ language elements to run-time type information:
The dynamic_cast operator.
Used for conversion of polymorphic types.
The typeid operator.
Used for identifying the exact type of an object.
The type_info class.
Used to hold the type information returned by the typeid operator.

For example :
Given an instance of class C, there is a B subobject and an A subobject. The instance of C, including the A and B subobjects, is the “complete object.”

Using run-time type information, it is possible to check whether a pointer actually points to a complete object and can be safely cast to point to another object in its hierarchy. The dynamic_cast operator can be used to make these types of casts. It also performs the run-time check necessary to make the operation safe.

As “dynamic_cast” is widely used in ROOT, you have to specify /GR compiler option.

Cheers,
Bertrand.

Many thanks for detailed explanation,
Andrey

Hi,
here is a zip file containing VisualStudio project/solution files for
programs from $ROOTSYS/test.

It contains examples:

• how to create pure console application
  • how to create GUI application
  • how to create ROOT DLL for class with dictionary
    It includes correct compilation/link flags for VisualStudio project
    and dictinary generation precompiled step.

Hope this helps.

Regards. Valeriy
test.zip (404 KB)