QtROOT install instructions not working on Mac OS X 10.6.4

I downloaded the tarball for qtroot from here: root.bnl.gov/QtRoot/downloads/qtFullRoot.tar.gz, and tried to follow the instructions in the readme (which seem to be consistent with those found online), but when I get to the step, , I get the error “make: *** No rule to make target `install’. Stop.”. When I qmake the whole thing, it outputs:

anlextwls096-049:qtRoot paulthompson$ qmake
Project MESSAGE: excluding
Project MESSAGE:  Installing <qt qtgui qtgl qtthread qtimage qtroot qt4ged> of QtRoot system
Project MESSAGE:  To remove some packages from the build, start the qmake utility as follows:
Project MESSAGE:  
Project MESSAGE:  > qmake QTPACKAGES -= <list of unwanted packages>
Project MESSAGE:  
Project MESSAGE: type <make install> - to install qt qtgui qtgl qtthread qtimage qtroot qt4ged of QtRoot into </Applications/root> directory
Project MESSAGE:  
Project MESSAGE: PLEASE make the symbolic link (ln -sf libGQt.so /Applications/root/lib ) by hand!!!
WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/paulthompson/Desktop/qtRoot/qt/GQt.xcodeproj'
WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/paulthompson/Desktop/qtRoot/qtgui/QtRootGui.xcodeproj'
WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/paulthompson/Desktop/qtRoot/qtthread/QtThread.xcodeproj'
WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/paulthompson/Desktop/qtRoot/qtimage/QtImage.xcodeproj'
WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/paulthompson/Desktop/qtRoot/qtroot/QtRoot.xcodeproj'
WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/paulthompson/Desktop/qtRoot/qt4ged/QtGed.xcodeproj'
WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/paulthompson/Desktop/qtRoot/qtgl/qglviewer/QGLViewer/QGLViewer.xcodeproj'
WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/paulthompson/Desktop/qtRoot/qtgl/qtgl/RQTGL.xcodeproj'
anlextwls096-049:qtRoot paulthompson$ 

Any idea what’s going wrong?

Thanks,

Paul

First, I have to beg a pardon

1. I am on vacation I have very limited Internet access to investigate things deeper.
  2. I have no Mac machine anyway

Second, it is not clear what you did.
The page : root.bnl.gov/QtRoot/How2Install4Unix.html provides several different scenarios of QtRoot installation. Which one did you follow?
There is no scenario with “qmake” followed by “make install” there.
Please, specify which steps you performed and what the outcome was.
If you want the result faster I strongly recommend communicating the Atlas team twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/At … i#Mac_OS_X . The page was updated a couple of weeks ago.
First of all Patrick (see twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/At … i#Contacts )
It seems to me he has no problem with QtRoot on Mac platform.

See also the slide 9 “Qscan on Mac OSX"
from indico.cern.ch/getFile.py/access … Id=a055638
"QScan: a QtROOT based software for events reconstruction in Lar detectors (20’) transparencies by Anselmo Meregaglia” presentation from indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay … Id=a055638

Another question. Can you create a pure Qt “Hello Word” GUI application with no ROOT with -cocoa interface and your Qt installation?