Pyroot:: read tree AsNumpy

Hi! So, i did not find any simpler method of reading a tree in numpy other than rdf.
So, i tried this:

# Get numpy array
        rdf_tracks = ROOT.RDataFrame(tree_track)
        # we can do global filter here for tracks: sign, p_{T,x,y,z} before conversion to numpy
        npy_tracks = rdf_tracks.AsNumpy()

and i get this

./ao2d_process.py 
TypeError: function takes exactly 5 arguments (1 given)

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

SystemError: <cppyy.CPPOverload object at 0x7f23e25703d0> returned a result with an exception set

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home.hdd/adrian/work/AO2Dproto/./ao2d_process.py", line 157, in <module>
    npy_tracks = rdf_tracks.AsNumpy()
  File "/home/physics-tools/ROOT/v6-26-00-patches/lib/ROOT/_pythonization/_rdataframe.py", line 87, in RDataFrameAsNumpy
    return result.GetValue()
  File "/home/physics-tools/ROOT/v6-26-00-patches/lib/ROOT/_pythonization/_rdataframe.py", line 139, in GetValue
    for i, x in enumerate(cpp_reference):
SystemError: <class 'enumerate'> returned a result with an exception set

is this anything known? would there be any problem if the tree have some friends attached?
Thank you!
Adrian

well, the error went away after removing the friends.

Hi,
that error is super weird, it looks like enumerate is a class in that script…?

AsNumpy should have no problem with friends, e.g. I can run this correctly:

import ROOT

ROOT.RDataFrame(10).Define("x", "1").Snapshot("main", "f1.root")
ROOT.RDataFrame(10).Define("y", "2").Snapshot("friend", "f2.root")

main = ROOT.TChain("main")
main.Add("f1.root")

friend = ROOT.TChain("friend")
friend.Add("f2.root")

main.AddFriend(friend)

arr = ROOT.RDataFrame(main).AsNumpy()
print(arr)

# prints
{'x': ndarray([1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1], dtype=int32), 'friend.y': ndarray([2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2], dtype=int32)}

If this becomes a problem again, please post a minimal reproducer.
Cheers,
Enrico

Hi! how can i have enumerate as a class :slight_smile: ? the script is this
and the part of adding the friends is here
i believe that is the same thing… (unless i missed a detail somewhere)

also, i wanted to ask about the return object of AsNumpy : i see that the output is a dict with branches as ndarrays … is there a way to create an ndarray of ndarrays?
i need to do python - Is there any numpy group by function? - Stack Overflow (make a list of “groups” that have the same value on the “first” column/branch/ndarray ) and even if i get the indexes by processing the grouping column, i do not see how to process further these groups when they are in distinct keys

I have no idea, but from your error message:

SystemError: <class 'enumerate'> returned a result with an exception set

I can’t run the script you shared (I don’t have the input files nor the alice_DataModel script) so I can’t debug further.

Not directly with AsNumpy, but you can post-process the dictionary of numpy arrays as needed.

Cheers,
Enrico

Hi! Thanks a lot for taking a look! this is a test data file: https://asevcenc.web.cern.ch/asevcenc/ao2dproto/AO2D.root

That alice data model is not used at this moment and i even forgot that i did not commit it :slight_smile:
We could continue over email if you want: adrian.sevcenco@cern.ch
Thank you!
Adrian

Hi @adrian_sev ,
Can you please post here a minimal, self-contained version of the code above that I can run to reproduce the stacktrace above? I’m not sure I understand how to reproduce your error.

Cheers,
Enrico

Hi! So, you can found here both a reproducer script and a data file.
Thanks a lot for looking into this!
Adrian

1 Like

Alright so here’s a minimal reproducer:

#!/usr/bin/env python3
import ROOT
df = ROOT.RDataFrame('DF_2471812916001/O2trackcov', 'AO2D.root')
df.AsNumpy(["fRhoSnpY"])

The problem is not with friend trees, somehow calling AsNumpy on that specific branch trips up PyROOT. Work in progress.

EDIT:

ok, it’s a bug in PyROOT with vectors of chars:

#!/usr/bin/env python3
import ROOT

vec = ROOT.std.vector['char'](['a','b','c'])
for _ in vec:
    pass

yields

TypeError: function takes exactly 5 arguments (1 given)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/blue/Scratchpad/work/forum-pyroot-error/reproducer.py", line 6, in <module>
    for _ in vec:
SystemError: <cppyy.CPPOverload object at 0x7fade90f4130> returned a result with an exception set

This is now Iteration on `std.vector['char']` is broken · Issue #9632 · root-project/root · GitHub .

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.