PROOF on a single machine cannot start slave

Hi,
I tried to install proof for a dual core machine following the instructions in this page:
root.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/ROOT/XpdExampleone

I got error messages as follows:

I am wondering where I am getting wrong. Thank for your helps.

regards,

gma

I tried to track down the problem. It seems that xrootd did not work. Here is the log file

I appreciate your helps.

regards,

gma

Hi Gma,

There seems to be a problem with the existance/ownership of /tmp/proof.
Does the user that starts the xrootd is the owner of /tmp/proof ?

Cheers,
Jan

Jani,
Thank for your helps. I restarted xrootd to give me the right to access
\tmp folder and add more environment variables as listed in (http://root.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/ROOT/XpdConfig)

It seems my old problem is solved. However, I have new problems which I have no clue how to fix it. I appreciate your helps. The log file is as follows:

Hi Gma,

Can you send the complete error message (also the part after the “segmentation violation” message)?

And the xpd.cf file too?

Cheers,
Jan

Jani,
After reading your email, I checked my config file again. Indeed, the number of localworker line was commended out. So I change it. Here is the configure file:

Still, I got the error log file

I checked my /etc/service file and found the following

Hmm, I don’t know how to fix it. Thank you in advance, Jani.

cheers,

gma

Hi,

This means that you still have a daemon listening on port 1094. Probably is a left over of a previous attempt.
Try running ‘netstat -tap | grep LISTEN’ to find it out. You should get something like this

~> netstat -tap | grep LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:1093                  *:*                     LISTEN      28756/xrootd
tcp        0      0 *:1094                  *:*                     LISTEN      28756/xrootd

Then you should find the process ID with ‘ps -ax | grep xrootd’ and kill it.

Gerri

Hi,

There is simply another xrootd process running. Just kill it.
Concerning the config file, the number of workers doesn’t have to be set. The default is the number of CPU cores.

Cheers,
JAN

Jani,
Thank you very much. OK, I run xrootd again. it gives me the old error message.

You asked me to send you other message after Break in previous email. But this is all the output in xpd.log file. I am not sure what else information may be useful for you. Please let me know if you need to see other configure files. This is weird. Thanks again.

cheers,

gma

Shoot. I am soory, now I got something after the break statement.
Here they are.

When I run proofserv. I got the following

Hopefully these help you fix the problem. Thanks.

cheers,

gma

Hi,

The XrdProofd plugin tries to validate a ROOT version installed under /usr/local/root: did you install ROOT there?
What’s the value of ROOTSYS?

Gerri

ganis,
My ROOTSYS is /usr/local/root. I am not sure whether I missed something in installation. I just did the default installation. Is it OK? Thanks.

cheers,

gma

Ganis,
I installed 5.19.04 and proof works now. :smiley: Thanks.
cheers,

gma