Problems with rootcint for ROOT 5.20.0 / MacOs 10.3.9 on PPC

Hello Mac Rooters,
I have now a problem with rootcint on my old iBook G4 with MacOs 10.3.9 and gcc 3.3. When I try to compile the examples in the “test” directory by typing:

I obtain the following error message:

The examples in the $ROOTSYS/test directory where compile correctly up to ROOT 5.18.00. It seems that something has changed in rootcint for ROOT 5.20.00 that leads to the failure of the dictionnary generation. Has somebody any idea how to fix this error?

Cheers

Hi,

weird. What does “ls -l /Users/choubi/root/include/TObject.h” show?

Does “cd $ROOTSYS/test; rootcint -f EventDict.cxx -c -I/Users/choubi/root/include Event.h EventLinkDef.h” work?

Cheers, Axel.

Hi Axel,
Here are the results of the commands for which you ask me whether they are working or not:

The file TObject.h exists in $ROOTSYS/include

The rootcint command fails to generate the dictionnary. Let me remind you that all was working perfectly with ROOT 5.18.00. I guess that the changes made in rootcint for ROOT 5.20.00 are no more compatible with MacOs 10.3.9 or with gcc 3.3.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers

Hi,

this is not ROOT itself - it’s the configured paths that seem to be wrong. I assume you built ROOT from source? Can you post $ROOTSYS/config.status, please? Did you ever configure these sources by passing the --prefix option to configure?

If you have --prefix in your configure options please configure again without it. You set ROOTSYS - that’s sufficient. Could you run “make distclean; make -j3” to force a rebuild of all of ROOT (especially but not only after yu ran configure again). Does that fix it?

Cheers, Axel.

Hi Axel,
Here is the content of the $ROOTSYS/config.status file

I always build ROOT from sources without any --prefix option. The ROOTSYS environment variable is set before the configuration and the compilation procedure. I will try the “make distclean; make -j3” command and will inform you whether my problem is fixed or not.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers. Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Yes, this is a bug in ROOT on old macs that has not yet been fixed. This was a consequence of the last round of upgrade to reduce rootcint dependence on ROOTSYS.

Cheers,
Philippe.

Hi Philippe,
Thank you for your answer. Does the ROOT developper team plan to fix this bug or not? I maybe could help you in this task at least as a beta tester. Anotner way could be to copy the previous rootcint files of version 5.18.00 in the version 5.20.00 folder. Do you think it would work? If not, I will be forced to upgrade at least my Mac Os :wink: .

Cheers
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

If you can upgrade your os, this is the best option!

Cheers,
Philippe.

Hi Axel and Philippe,
I found a “dirty” way to fix my problem. I have copied the rootcint.cxx file from the version 5.18.00 folder to the version 5.20.00 folder. I have compiled ROOT with this rootcint.cxx file and all seems to be ok now (at least for the 3 examples I have tested). I know it is not a long term solution but this will work until the next major change in rootcint.
Many thanks for your help
Cheers
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

A priori the problem is fixed in the svn trunk.

Cheers,
Philippe.