Problems with 5.16 and cygwin

Hi!

I faced some problems with ROOT 5.16 and cygwin. In my (compiled) ROOT program I open several TCanvases one after another (using TApplication in addition) and sometimes (so far I did not find any systematics) the program crashes with

"Error in : fatal X11 error (connection to server lost?!)

**** Save data and exit application ****
"

The same analyis, the same cygwin version on another site (where ROOT 5.12 is installed) works fine… Iam using the latest cygwin version under Windows XP. It seems that ROOT kills the Xserver app. because all other programs like emacs are simultaniously killed.

Cheers,
Stefan

see remarks concerning the wingcc version at
root.cern.ch/root/Version516.html

Rene

Hi Rene!

Iam not using a ROOT version for windows. Iam running an executable compiled with ROOT 5.16 for Linux (REDHAT 10.0). Iam only using the xserver from the cygwin package to be able to get the x output on my winxp system. I dont know whether this does change the situation?

Cheers,
Stefan

OK, your original message was misleading. ::slight_smile:

Do you observe the same behaviour with other programs using X11 ?

I am not happy with the latest versions of cygwin, I also see frequent problems when using x11 based editors on Windows.

Rene

Hi Rene!

Sorry, I should have explained it better :slight_smile:
No, so far I only observed it using ROOT (5.16). In addition I use Xemacs and emacs but so far no problem…

Cheers,
Stefan

Hi,

I have never seen ROOT crashing cygwin X11. How do you connect to the linux machine? Does ssh -Y help?

Axel.

Hi Axel!

Iam using putty for the x11 connection. There is an option “X11 Forwarding” which is enabled. In the meantime I tried the ROOT version 5.12g but faced the same problem. Today a collegue of mine tested my analysis with another x server (exceed) and another ssh client and there it seemed to work. I will soon install the software on my system and hopefully it will work. If not, I will use a native linux system in the future becaue in any case the x11 connection is rather slow if opening many canvases…

Cheers,
Stefan

Hi,

remote X11 is slow no matter what server you use. You should use cygwin’s ssh instead of putty - that works nicely for me. And yes, or use linux - that works even better :wink:

Axel.