Problems to run pythia8.C

Dear all

Here is what I have done so far:

First downloaded root v5-34-36 and followed the README/README file. So I just did “. /home/Lizardo/Software/Root/v5-34-36/root/bin/thisroot.sh” and got root working fine (I checked the rootmarks and so on).

Then downloaded and installed pythia8.2 with the command “./configure --with-root=/home/Lizardo/Software/Root/v5-34-36/root” and then make -j4. I also did " ./runmains" in examples folder to check that they run OK.

I set my environment variables like:
export PYTHIA8=/home/Lizardo/Software/Pythia8Test/pythia8219
export PYTHIA8DATA=$PYTHIA8/share/Pythia8/xmldoc
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/home/Lizardo/Software/Pythia8Test/pythia8219/lib

Then I try to run pythia8.C in /home/Lizardo/Software/Root/v5-34-36/root/tutorials/pythia and I get:

dlopen error: /home/Lizardo/Software/Pythia8Test/pythia8219/lib/libpythia8.a: invalid ELF header
Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /home/Lizardo/Software/Pythia8Test/pythia8219/lib/libpythia8.a
Warning: Return value of void pythia8() ignored pythia8.C:35:

What am I missing? :confused:

Thanks for your help,

Lizardo

Try:
root-config --has-pythia8
and if you get “yes”, then maybe it is sufficient to comment out the line (in “pythia8,C”):
gSystem->Load("$PYTHIA8/lib/libpythia8");
If you get “no”, you will probably need to rebuild your pythia8 so that you have shared libraries (i.e. “libpythia8.so”) instead of static ones (i.e. “libpythia8.a”) and then rebuild your ROOT.